HECO Mythos 300
Description: 2-way bass reflex standmount speaker

Submitted by jaco97 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
heco mythos 500 is an outstanding speaker, natural and fine for longer listenings, need stronger amp (75 watt min./channel) and put them far away from the walls then they produce a nice soundstage. my rating is for the older models (see below) the newer ones I would rate with 2 stars

Purchased At:   hirsch-ille

Submitted by prometheus_uk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've listened lots of speakers the last 6-7 years, but i was striked by the Heco Argon 1000 in a system driven by a Classe 100 power amp and a rotel pre. In the past i tested speakers like the B&W P4(very good-not for classical-needs powerful amps), mission's 700 series(a bit plastic and boomy), B&W 603 s3 (lightweight sound- 21/2 way(??)),B&W 801(excellent but expensive), B&W 805 (very good baby- a bit loud on low-mid frequencies), Analysis Omega(they cost my car) and many others. After all, i listened to these Hecos (famous in Germany but only there i suppose!). Their built quality is outstanding- rock-solid. The driver units very good- glass fibre for the high frequensies, phase plug on midrange and carbon on the bass unit. Apart from that, they sound fantastic. After a 20hours running in period in my system (parasound HCA 1000 power amp, Audio Note M1 pre-amp, Nad 512 cd player(cheap,but very-very good0, cardas 2x21 interconnects and Van Den Hul speaker cables) i placed a compilation from Telarc-Jazz and... i found myself looking at the music- the singers were there just in frond of me and the soundstage- what a soundstage- i could count the guitars, see the drums-feel their membranes vibrating. All the frequencies were there and the speakers were just singing. After the jazz, classical was placed in the cd-player- the vikings, the church organ, the choir, the violings made me feel that i was in the theatre. I wanted to hear all my collection again Tori Amos, Rebecka Pidgeon were in front of me singing for me...only.
After all, i was listening to a pair of speakers with Hi-End sound (by all means) for 700 Euros (about 400 pounds or 700$).
Please, before you blaim me listen to them in a good set-up. They worth a play whatever you like to listen to.

Purchased At:   December 2002

Submitted by René Popken a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
Heco Mythos
These 105 cm high floorstanders offer very natural sound. my system is Technics 800 MKI amplifier, Technics 770 Cd-player, Bandridge cables, Oehlbach interconnects.
Voices are great. They reproduce Metallica as easy as Vivaldi. The Lows are covered by a 17cm bass-speaker, helped by a rear-firing port. The cabinets are 40 cm deep. They need as leat 30 cm from all walls, else the bass becomes uncontrollable.
The only minus-point is the speakers don't offer a provision for spikes.
I bought them for 600Dm a piece. For this kind in money they offer five star value. The rating is four stars, because of the spikes. In Holland they are much more expensive.

Submitted by Ergo a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
2-way bass reflex90/130W
4 ohm
242x350x362 mm
34-35000 Hz
(specs from HECO WEB page)
I have owned these speakers for a month now and I'm very happy with them. When I searched new speakers for myself the price limit was 500$ and I came to the conclusion that for this price the only good speakers You can get are two-way standmounters. So, I searched and listened many speakers for several months (including Mirage M290i and M190i, Tannoy M2, Castle Tay, Energy eXL:16 etc). I finally settled for HECO Mythos 300. They have a good imaging, the highs are very nice and not too bright, the mids (especially vocals) are very good for my taste and the bass goes pretty deep for the speakers this size. These speakers also have good control of the bass. I have to mention though that these speakers need to be quite far from walls to get the best out of them. I drive these speakers with NAD C340 amp and I think it's a very good mach. One interesting thing is also that when I tried to search information and reviews about HECO speakers from WEB I couldn't find anything more than their WEB page. Can't think of the reason why? Anyway, if they sell these speakers in Your country I suggest You'll listen to them. At least I liked them. Gave them 4 stars as there are not all speakers with good revies in this price range available in Estonia. So, I can't tell if there are some better ones out there.