Hales Design Group Revelation 2

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair of Revs 2 on the second hand market to replace my Thiel CS1.5. I've been very impressed with the CS1.5 for the past one year and then came a thought that the Krell KSA200s requires a tougher load. Saw this pair of speakers at a good price and so I went down straight to buy it.

I feel that the CS1.5 gives a wider sound stage as compared to the Revs 2 however, the bass is much tighter and lower due to the 8" woofer (CS1.5 employs a 6.5" passive radiator, both speakers are sealed box design).

The integration of the 3 drivers of the Revs 2 seem to be lacking between the Mid and the Low as compared to the CS1.5 (Thiels are known for their accuracy and neutrality). CS1.5 seems to be on the warmer side as compared to the Revs 2.

All that I've said, I think that the Hales give very crisp and detailed highs.

This Hales will be good for Jazz, Rock, Upbeat music but failed me in Symphony and pure vocals.

System:
Transparent Music SuperLink
MIT EXPproline

Submitted by Jason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I first heard these speakers, my mouth dropped. I was struck with the balance and the inner detail of a solo trumpant. I literally got pullled into the music...magical stuff.

First of all, let's start from the bottom. Bass in my smallish room (14'X10'X8') is very adequate I got them out about 2' toed in so the tweeters are pointing about 2' on either side of my ears. These are not the last word on bottom extension (but it could be a number of other factors as well). But the bass coming is very clean.

The midrange on these are glorious. Soundstage is wide and deep with detail to spare. These do not have the wiedest or deepest soundstage, nor are they the most detailed but blanance is the key here.

The highs are very extended (metal dome tweeter helps here), but not overly so.

Great build quality and great looks to boot. Be carefull, these are heavy little speakers (1/3 foot front baffle), and quite solid as well. If you can get them for < $1k these will be a steal.

System content:

Other Tice Solo A/V conditioner

Purchased At:   Audio Directions

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am very disappointed about the demise of Hales Design Group. Beyond the warranty issues, Paul Hales made a great speaker with superb coherence (excellent seamless driver matching). The Rev 2's provide excellent balance between desired attributes - they are very smooth yet quite refined, provide top-to-bottom extension without being to forward. I do have several issues with the speakers but all are correctable - they are surprisingly sensitive to placement despite sealed enclosures; bass extension and focus change significantly with different spikes.

Over all, I'm very satisfied with the product and believe that it compares favorable with speakers far more expensive.

Submitted by Texas Rugger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
The first thing that struck me about these speakers when first hearing them is the ease with which they reproduce music - relaxed (without losing too much detail), easy to listen to and quite enjoyable. With the proper equipment, they will really surprise you. I would also imagine them to be rather forgiving of equipment that isn't the finest in the store, but they really do sing when properly matched.
86dB is not particuraly sensitive for any speaker, but not too bad either. In other words, a 7 w triode won't cut it here. I don't know about their impedence curve. But given the proper equipment, they carry a definate sense of ease and power that is well combined.
Paul Hales seems to have a wonderful ability to make the best speaker possible for a minimal investment. In this case, a $1600 or $1700 speaker that really gives the big boys a run for their money. Like I said, these don't carry the refinement or detail of a pair of Aerial or Thiels, nor the bottom end of a pair of big Wilsons, but for the money, you definately can't complain. These speakers really don't try to do anything that they can't and they lack in what they don't do, as opposed to what they do. Quality components in and out (beautiful Cardas binding posts) make this a true hi-fi bargain. You can't go wrong here...

Submitted by Jordan Jacobs a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had my system complete for a while minus decent speaker cable. I was using a buck a foot cable and thought my system was decent. I upgraded cables considerably and now I am blown away. The new cables really let the hales shine. Amazing clarity, detail, and soundstage. You can feel the power behinf them and the hales make the music sound real. Between the effort that the CJ makes to make the music sound live and these speakers I always feel like the music is being played live and in front of me. I am really blown away and Hales has a customer for life. I compared them to my friends $5,000 JM labs and although the JMs had some better qualities the hales were still more for me. Overall the hales, IMHO, out-performed everything I heard in the $2,500 or less range considerably.