Focal Tantal 507

Submitted by Frank Talens a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was at a HiFi congres at Groningue where I was overwhelmed with the most outraging Hifi-sets, but every stand I visited could not meet up yo my standards. The weakness from most HiFi speakers is that they do not sound like you're listening to "the real thing". I like to listen to various kinds of music; for instance Blues, Acapella, Rock, and little Classic, but I'm also a Techno, Ambient, Reggae, and Dub enthusiast. Of course with most electronic music you cannot speak about "the real thing", but you can get a nice idea about it..
Anyway, at a certain moment I heard a track playing called "Saturday Night" performed by the dutch artist Herman Brood, and I thought (for a moment) "Hey, this sounds pretty real to me!". At that moment I was walking across the stand from JM Lab, and the salesman had connected the tinyest speakers of his JM Lab collection. From that moment I knew I wanted to have these speakers.
After a while I bought them (after re-listening) new at a Music shop (company name: Poort) in Leeuwarden. At home I linked them up to my 23 year old Yamaha integrated amplifier (model CA-610, there's a review of that amp here as well..) and 'till now I'm still satisfied with the sound they produce.
I have heard many different speakers and hifi-components, but for the first time in my life, I dare to compare my hifi set to any hifi or high-end set whatsoever! Thanks to JM Lab!
Love to all people who enjoy LISTENING to music!

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   400

Submitted by David a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Build quality: Though this is a small loudspeaker it is well built. While not heavy enough to throw your back out, it is not exactly feather light.

Sound: I just happened to walk into Audio Insight where I purachsed a demo CAL CD player (DX-2). Thought I would see what else they would have that I might like. Well I found these little guys on sale for $299 as opposed to $350 (new in box price). I thought maybe this little guy can dance. Did it ever, I listened to a jazz CD for the review. In about 2 minutes my ears said "Dude, buy this baby before someone else gets it first! Early bird gets the worm."
Before I knew it (after about 15 or 20 minutes, the place was packed) out I come with these speakers. They are an excellent value in high end loudspeakers. I have heard more expensive speakers that sent me out screaming. Great mid-range, wonderful high end (frequencies here), very good bass extension for a small speaker. Almost a perfect mini-monitor. Thought soundstage could be a bit better, but not shabby. This speaker blows away Boston Acoustics by a comfortable margin. I'm not saying Boston Acoustics are bad speakers but they can't compete with the JM Labs. Go out and buy a pair and upgrade cables or other parts of your system!

Purchased At:   Audio Insight