Evett & Shaw Milano

Submitted by Arron Ozminski a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1997

Bottom Line:
-A primer on how to blow your inheritance-
The search for the ultimate speaker system found me at the HiFi '96 show in New York City. My Pavlovian response was in full swing even before I entered the hallowed halls of the Waldorf. I worked my way to the Avalon Osiris room with very high expectations. Boy, was I dissapointed with what $ 70k buys a guy!
Jarred, I then staggered into the huge Wilson display. The X-1 was even worse, despite all the fiddling they were doing to optimise the sound. I realize that show conditions make it difficult to produce good sound, but come on, both had serious shortcomings for that kind of dough. I can't fathom how these two rooms won first and second place in the stereophile poll.
Later, an amp manufacturer told about a speaker I had never heard of called Evett & Shaw. Their top model dubbed the Milano appearently enjoys a cult following among the Illumined Ones. I had a chance to hear the Milano this spring in a home setting, and let me assure you friends, it deserves cult status!
It delivers the awe inspiring assault of an orchestra while remaining smooth and graceful. I have never heard such a complete set of virtues from one speaker before. It is also built like a Rowland amplifier, putting the others to shame.
State of the Art- 5 stars.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile