Energy Speaker Systems Veritas V2.4 Tower Speakers
Description: Already internationally acclaimed as an extraordinary achievement that will lead the audio industry for years to come, the Energy Veritas V2.4 is designed for the true music enthusiast. Hand-crafted and engineered with absolutely no compromise, the Energy Veritas V2.4 is characterized by impeccable accuracy and stunning clarity with deep, powerful bass. The V2.4 sets the standard in audio performance in virtually any listening room.

Submitted by kw59 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Veritas 2.4i with the improved driver. I have had these speakers now for just over a year. This review is based on my experience over that time.

Energy designed these speaker for thee important characteristics: flat on-axis frequency response with wide bandwidth, wide and constant dispersion at all frequencies, and low distortion and resonance. Many other manufacturers build speakers with similar characteristics.

First off, these speakers are massive overkill for HT application. While I do use them for HT, I do not find this is not useful for reviewing a speaker. All of this subsequent review is a result of critical listening of 2 channel music.

These speakers are very attractive, well built using quality components, and heavy. But more importantly, it is about the sound.

I cannot significantly comment on bass output as my room acoustics result in a bass lull in my seating position.

Initially, I found these speakers neutral, with good finesse and details. Imaging was nice and soundstage was average. However, for their price range I didn't find their sound quality much of a step up from previous less expensive speakers.

After listening to a friend's high end system with Tannoy D700's I realized I wasn't getting what I thought these speakers should be capable of in this price range. I found in a critical assessment of my initial set up the speakers were overly analytical/detailed and unforgiving of SQ (sound quality) reproduction. Harshness was present at moderate to loud volumes, and they were unforgiving of large volume transients, especially at the higher frequencies. My system was completely SS (solid state), and these tendencies have often been attributed to poor component matching in a system. I extensively used an older flagship AV receiver as preamp. This and the other components in my system were not in the same price range nor quality level of the Veritas 2.4i's.

I commenced with a slow and methodical component upgrade for the rest of my system to be better matched to the 2.4i's. I upgraded amplification, the CDP, and wiring. The 2.4's SQ demonstrated minor improvements. However, the biggest change in sound from the speakers resulted from using different preamplifiers.

I tried a Gamut C2R solid state preamp with the Veritas 2.4i's and while it had demonstrated some definite improvements over my AV receiver SS pre, it also magnified some other issues with my system. It exacerbated the harshness, especially in transients, and more analytical. I stopped using the Gamut C2R with the Veritas 2.4i's because the AV receiver SS pre was more forgiving.

I briefly borrowed and listened to a Conrad Johnson PV10B tube preamplifier with the Veritas 2.4i's. This tube preamp demonstrated immediate and large improvements. The midrange warmth was beautiful to listen to. The overly detailed and analytical tendencies of the speakers were gone, as well as the harshness. The sound from the Veritas 2.4i's was much more musical.

Subsequently after much research I purchased and incorporated a Cary SLP 2002 tube preamplifier. This tube preamplifier really woke up the Veritas 2.4i's. Everything improved a lot. Midrange, including voices, became excellent; more natural, warm, and a strongpoint. Imaging tightened up considerably and the sound stage doubled in width. Some depth is notable in the soundstage, but the strength of the 2.4i's are in the lateral / extremely wide soundstage. Enveloping is a good word. Dynamics were impressive. Surprisingly, instruments became even more detailed and significantly more pronounced, but the harshness & analytical aspects I associated with these characteristics were gone. It was just so musical. The "cotton batting removed from my ears" analogy I have heard would be a good analogy. High frequency response also lost its harshness and sibilance. Subsequently the Veritas 2.4i's also became much more forgiving of less-than-optimal recorded CD's.

The system was finally showing what the Energy Veritas 2.4i's were capable of. With properly match components and good system synergy the Veritas 2.4i's shine to a level I have rarely heard. I heartily recommend these speakers, but be aware that they are only as good as the system match and synergy you have them incorporated with, as my experience has shown.

Purchased At:   private (used)

Submitted by energyveritas a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
EXELLENT! I FINALLY FOUND THE BEST SPEAKER!
I'ts a lot of time that i am searchin 'my sound' , The music is good I can enjoy it despite the recording quality.
I've audiotioned many many speaker in my life because i work in a hifi store

The energy 2.4i need a long break in period , almost 200 hours , because of this in a shop can sound
dry and without the grace these speaker reach after..

Bass presence is outstanding , velocity is extreme , B&W 802 or SONUS FABER CREMONA can only dream
that punch . The only similar bass performance i remember only from dynaudio.. but The Veritas woofer
uses a dual voice coil , the distortion even at the maximum power doesnt exist , it seem that its reduced!
An amplifier with 200 watt minìmum is required for this!

The soundstage is fantastic , you will hear the instruments outside the speakers' positions ,
it seems like you have the surround and center speaker on!

Very very clean voices.. from 500hz to 20khz the sound is reproduced by Aluminum Dome Tweeter and midrange
that have the same sound that you cant feel their separate , with an extremely detailed and smooth sound .

the perfect matching cables for the speaker are van den hul
inspiration hybrid , the most natural sounding cable i've ever heard!

With there speaker you can hear every kind of music ( buy b&w nautilus series if you need to hear the hifi system
instead of THE MUSIC!) from rock , classical , jazz and even extreme metal , they can handle everything!

If you can spend more money for your speaker system be sure you listen well th e2.4i because these blak tower
can blast other speaker in the higher price rance , speaker that that are made for a special kind of music..
the veritas play all kind of music ?with tremendous dynamic range!

My system :

MARANTZ SA-11S1 sacd/cd PLAYER
PERREAAUX SM6 reference preamplifier
TWO NAD S200 final amplifier in mono mode (800W x 2)
VAN DEN HUL GOLD BALANCED INTERCONNECTS
VAN DEN HUL Inspiration Hybrid speaker cable
VAN DEN HUL MAINSSTREAM for all AC cord
And many other components for home theater only application...

Purchased At:   GHEGIN LOREGGIA PD I

Submitted by zeblion1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the new 2.4i. Although the old 2.4 sounded so damn good, however, sometimes they have problem with frozen drivers. 2.4i is the best speakers for around $4000. They sound reeally smooth, detailed and fast. The build quality is awesome, they weigh about 99lbs each, not so many speakers out there will have this kind of build quality. However, they took a long time to break in, the best way just play them at least 250 hours before they sound the way they should sound. Also, please pair them up with a good amplication. YES indeed, amplification is the key thing. I am running Krell Monoblock FPB 450 cx, 450 watts class A. If you don't pair them up with the good amplication, they sound dry.So, it is not the speakers. It's the amp, Also try to do biwring.

Purchased At:   Audio Video

Submitted by Skyhawk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am no expert when it comes to reviewing audio equipment. I worked in mid-high retail for a long time and had a chance to use alot of different equipment.

The Energy Vertias 2.4 is the best performer I have had the pleasure of listening to to date. The speaker reproduces every nuance with little effort

The bass is surprisingly tight and controlled. Bravo! The only word that comes to mind when trying to describe the mid range and highs is LIQUID.

The speakers are fast and detailed. The best speaker for audio enthusiasts on a budget

At present I use the following gear to bring my audio to life

Integra DTR 9.1
Bryston 4B SST
Sony 777ES SACD Player
Rega P3 Turntable

Purchased At:   Moores Audiotronic

Submitted by Ian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I worked in the " High End " business for 9 yrs, and have sold countless numbers of great speakers in that time. Occaisonally a product is introduced that performs Wayyyy beyond it's price point. The V2.4 is definitely one of those products. I have owned Linn, Aerial Acoustics, Alon, Vandersteen, Mirage, B&W Nautilus, Dynaudio and I could just go on and on. The V2.4s have all of the warmth of the Nautilus 803s, with the definition, speed and accuracy of the Dynaudio 3.3s. They have an unbelievable soundstage, imaging and dynamics.They will play VERY loud when given enough power. They should sell in the $5000 to $6000 range easily. Do yourself a favor and buy a pair, BUT make sure you mate them to very good electronics. They are an open window to EVERYTHING upstream !!
Associated equipment : Tara Labs RSC Air 1 cables, Sony 777ES SACD player, Thule PR250B preamp\processor, Adcom GFA 5802, Townsend Seismic sinks.

Purchased At:   sales rep