Energy Speaker Systems RC-50
Description: <ul> <li>Speaker System: Bass Reflex, Rear Vented</li> <li>Recommended Amplifier Power: 225 watts RMS</li> <li>Impedance: 8 ohms</li> <li>Minimum Impedance: 4 ohm</li> <li>Frequency response: 39Hz-23000Hz +/- 3dB</li> </ul>

Submitted by aasenatrix a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have these speakers attached to a Rotel pre/power combo which puts out 200 watts per channel. The RC-50s work nicely with my Rotel gear. The bass response from the ribbed drivers is particularly impressive--sounds fast and precise. I expected the combination to be bright due to the nature of Rotel products, but was pleasantly surprised to find the Energy speakers had a nice, smooth frequency response. Truthfully I think this is the best three-way tower in its price point.

Not only does this speaker do a great job with vocals but it looks gorgeous. The wood veneer is nicer than many products costing hundreds more; looks better than some of my furniture. The binding posts are good and chunky and tightly accommodate my banana plugs. Even the floor spikes are nicely finished and come with protective disks for hardwood. Overall construction quality is very good.

I found a huge difference in the sound as I progressed through the break-in period. At first the RC-50s were almost difficult to listen to; guitar sounded almost distorted. After roughly thirty hours of listening the difference was very noticeable. I am very happy I gave these beauties a chance to prove themselves! With the way Energy products are going, I think the reference connoisseur towers may be the last great component energy produces.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by joseli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
From my previous experinces with Mission M73 the RC 50's represented a substantial improvement of my system. The main differences in sound was a much wider soundstage and improved depth. I bought the RC 50's with an Energy S10.3 sub, and in the beginning i credited the sub for the improvement in the bass area, but after disconnecting the sub i realized that the RC-50's do an exellent job with music on their own.

Allthough i still use an old Yamaha AV- reciever as amp (not the best stereo amp in the world...) i'm now able to listen to music at low and moderate volumes, and still get a nice punch in the bass and a very good mid-range reproduction.

In norway i was (unfortunately) only able to get these speakers in black ash, but i still think they look great, and the buid quality is top notch.

I have later suplemented the system with the exellent RC-LCR as center , and i now use the old M73's as surroundspeakers. All in all I am very satisfied with my RC speakers, and i really don't think these speakers get the attention they deserve on the net and in the Hi-FI/Home cinema press in general!

Submitted by Manokent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought Energy Reference Pro 22's in 1987 and swore I would never change, however a Tweeter went dead and while waiting for repair I went browsing and listened to the new Reference series. After comparing the 30's 50's and 70's and realising that the old speakers were now surpassed, I settled on the 50's due to not only the fantastic sound but also the size of room they would be in. To be honest there did not seem to be that much difference between the 50's and 70' to warrant spending another $700.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound