Dynaudio 340 3 way
Description: 3 Way Car loudspeaker system

Submitted by Greg Kouri a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
I spent a great deal of time evaluating speakers for my system including the Focal 3 ways, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, ADS, Mc Intosh and others. These speakers are tremendous. They are very musical and have excellent pace. The midrange and especially the tweeters are extremely smooth (as were the Focals - forget the rest). I cannot believ what a difference these speakers made.
Please note that they do require at least 100 watts/channel, preferably more from a quality amplifier. If your electronics are less than superior, I would recommend listening to the focals as they are the only other decent hi-end speaker I have heard and are slightly more efficient.

My System is very simple as I am a true believer in a proper soundstage - no speakers behind me, no center channel pr other gimmicks.

- McIntosh 4x100 watt amp driving the Dynaudio 340. This amp is bridged. While that sounds crazy, I have heard it bridged and in normal 4 channel mode and find that the sound is not harsh and the extra power is well worth it. As with any speakers in the car, the installation is everything. My original installer did a poor job, but after working on the install the sound went from a 5/10 to a 9.5/10.

- McIntosh 4000 head unit with separate D/A converter. (Absolutely the very best pre-amp section of any head unit on the market. I have owned, Nakamich, Eclipse, Sony etc. Nothing is close.

- McIntosh M443 Subwoofer amp - (installed but I am still evaluating options for my Boxster convertible). The sound is so good right now I am taking my time and deciding if I still want a subwoofer.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile