Definitive Technology ProTower 400
Description: Powered tower (125W amp with 2-6.5" woofers per tower)

Submitted by straley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
WOW All I can say is WOW! I have been a poor stereo buff for years. Now I have the money but I research, and shop for the "BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK" I have never been satisfied with any main set of speakers I have owned. All of them(Bose, Bic, Klipsch etc.) have sounded good but under heavy thumping sounded overworked, and thrashy on the high end. I never understood really what a soundstage was until I fired up the DEF TECH'S. Now I know what a soundstage is. I demo'd The entire Klipsch line, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm's, and I'm sorry but dollar for dollar these DF 400's are hands down better sounding. None of the other speakers I listened to could be used without a good powered sub NONE! I was worried about purchasing these, I didn't know if the DF400's would have the presence of the Boston Acoustics, which were in my listening opinion clean and pure. My worries were unwarranted, the Def's have a beautiful clean sound with a greater presence than any of the forementioned speakers. Knowing what I know now I would buy these in a heartbeat for the 1000 dollars they retail for!

Use a clean high end receiver, and good cables.

If you can get a good deal on these speakers used don't hesitate. My wife is even flabbergasted at how good they sound, and she has never in our 20 plus years of marriage said anything good about any speaker I have owned.

Purchased At:   EbaY

Submitted by jw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Needed a speaker which had a foward facing woofer(s) to compliment the bass responce of the bp2006tl s in my front channel, these were just the speakers to do the job. Unbelieable lows

Purchased At:   E BAY

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I started with a Pro Cinema 200 surrond set up. I updated the fronts to the Pro Tower 400 series, what a difference. I still use the Pro sub for AC3 DVD's but use mostly two channel for music. I think the greatest asset of these speakers is when listening to CD's or even tapes. Good all around speaker. Don't pay list, most dealers use a markup of 70% on Definitive products!

Sony STDR 845 (new Yamaha 3000 coming!)
Pioneer DV-525
Hitachi 36" SDX88B TV (HDTV)
RCA DCT 100 satilite receiver with dual LMB

Purchased At:   Jerry's

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was really stuck when it came to theses of the paradigm legends but i had never had a chance to listen to them side by side as soon as I did definitive was hands down the winner. Both preformed rather well in HT but when it came to music, they had to to shine, and well the paradigms did not. The definitive was much clearer up high than the legends and surprisingly souned to have just as much bass. as for the monitors they had a little better sounding tweeter but the bass was nowhere near as pronounced. As I said dont underestimate the bass on these try them out and you'll be amazed

27 inch Sony Wega
Rear Center: My old KLH satillites

Purchased At:   Hifi Unlimited

Submitted by Gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great sounding speaker. Very tight bass response. Good mid-range response and good highs. They are great for small and medium sized rooms. (I have mine in a 16' by 17' living room.) They fill the room up fine. In very large living rooms they may not fill the room up with music. These replaced a set of Bose' 10.2's and these "BLOW THEM AWAY." At a $1,000 (for a pair) these speakers deserve to me considered for your home. I use them mostly for music, but they work for H/T just fine. I play a great deal of vinyl on them and they sound great. Don't need a sub-woofer for music, but for H/T I would suggest one.
Rotel: RSP-985- pre-amp surround sound processor
RB-985- mkII five channel amp (110 watts per channel)
RQ-970bx phono pre-amp