Cerwin Vega H-15
Description: 15" Woofer and (2)2" Tweeters (1977-1980)

Submitted by GovGeek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
These speakers are awesome! They perform flawlessly at the lowest and highest levels of sound. I've had these for several years. My father was going to throw them out. They were in his garage and the orange surrounds were all torn up. I remember these speakers since I was a very small child. In fact, the coffee stain on one of the grills still remains from when I spilled my mothers coffee down the front. Mom tried to hide it... dad found out and was very very angry.

Anyway, I would love to keep these speakers. However the wife said they must go. She is tired of my "Shrine to Speakers." So, I am installing some In-Ceiling 8" Proficient speakers for my 7.1 setup.

If you know of anyone interested... let me know. spam@godchaux.com

Purchased At:   Passed on from my fa

Submitted by submaster48 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
i'v owned a pair of cerwin-vega speakers for about a little over a year. they were given to me by my grandfather so that i could use them for djing. they have 1 15" 2 way woofer 1 5.25 inch mid and 2 bullet tweeters. i had to refoam them but after that they were the best speaker iv ever heard. there so clear and they can take a beating. i listen to techno and jungle so they have to keep up and they have no problem there. these things can pound i mean knock things of the shelf acrossed the room pound these are the best speakers iv evr had and i highly recommend them

Submitted by Marvin Thompson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers for $550 (the shop owner wanted $750 but he is a resident on my block and I told him he can come over and listen to them on the weekends) based on the review below and what I have heard from friends in the music industry.

I am very glad I did. The Cerwin Vegas handle my classical suits far better than I imagined. The highs are crisp and clear while the mids sing strong and the lows rumble my house. My son listens mostly to dance and "jungle" so you can imagine the beats that these speakers have to keep up with. We have them driven by a Bryson amp with plenty of power.

I have owned many sets of speakers in my lifetime. Not to say that these are the best speakers ever made but I did sell my Hales R3 after I owned these for two weeks.

My wife and I can ease the day away with some relaxing classics that these speakers play with sweet seduction. My son can enjoy his get togethers while these speakers playing his headache music with no respect for the neighbours. (the wall hangings, they are knocked from the hangers with the pounding)

Buy them if you have the chance. They are well worth the investment.

Purchased At:   Second Hand shop

Submitted by Dredal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers from a person selling them in Oshawa. I picked them up for $350 CDN. Origionally I was going to buy the LS-15's for around $800 cdn new but after hearing these speakers the choice became simple.

The previous owner had them reconed, new liquid cooled tweeters put in and rebuilt the cross overs. (over $700 in cost).

The clarity compared to the LS-15's on these speakers is MUCH better. There is life in the music. Highs are not harsh (one can easily listen for hours with out fatigue), there is substantial mid's and the bass is not flubbery but well defined and direct. I'm sure there are audiophile people who would be very willing to argue this point, but when my good friend brought over his new Kef Q65.2's and we did a comparison test, both he and I agreed that the old Cerwin Vegas surpassed the Kef's in every audio respect. The only weak parts about these speakers is the small cable hook in's (Putting 12 gauge speaker wire on these speakers is a mission), and the weight.

I have been offered more than double what I paid for these speakers but I refuse to sell them. I am told that in the late seventies, Cerwin Vega was targeting a more refined audio spectrum of listeners. When you hear these speakers then you will believe it.

If you have the chance to hear these speakers make it an effort to do so, and if there comes along the opportunity to buy them do not hesitate.

Specs:

NOMINAL IMP. 4 Ohms
LOW -FREQ. 15" DIECAST FRAME
HIGH-FREQ. (2) 1"VOICE COIL HORNS
CROSSOVER PNT. 2000 Hz.

I am using these speakers as fronts. Because I have them 10 feet apart which give me wonderful sound stage.

My home theater set up:
Sony STR-V555ES Receiver
Sony 550D dvd player
Sony VCR
Linn turntable
Sony 36" Wega TV (wow picture through component inputs)

Purchased At:   Private sale