Boston Acoustics Digital Media Theater
Description: 3-Piece Powered Computer Speakers - AC-3

Submitted by Matt B. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
After first hearing this system on the showroom, I had to have it. I actually heard the system from the opposite side of the store. It was the beginning of the live version of Eagles Hotel California. Well that sold these speakers for me. When putting the volume up to @ 5 with the sub on 5 my glasses rattle in my kitchen cupboards. These speakers have a clean crisp sound with unbelievable bass from the sub. The jack on the speaker is a very convenient touch. B.A. definately did their homework before producing this system. I would highly recomend this product to anyone. If this is a preview of how all Boston Acoustic products sound, then I am going to purchase more speakers from this manufacturer.

Purchased At:   Gateway Dealer

Submitted by Erik Peterson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers with my Gateway 2000 computer and have been extremely pleased with them. I haven't heard many other computer speaker set-ups, but I can't imagine they could get much better than this. One thing I've noticed on other systems is the missing headphone jack on one of the satellites. I use headphones all the time, so having a jack on the speaker is a big plus. The sub puts out more than enough bass to make me happy. I also recently upgraded my sound card to a Sound Blaster Live, which greatly improved sound quality.

Overall I have been very pleased. However, I am thinking about upgrading to a multichannel system sometime soon.

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
Best speaker's I have ever heard for a PC. Bought the package through Gateway Computers, and also upgraded to Sound Blaster Live sound card. I also purchased the BA's surround speakers for true dolby digital reproduction. Excellent for music, games such as Half Life, and best of all movies. You cannot go wrong with this excellent product from Boston Acoustics. Hat's off to Boston Acoustic for such wonderful sound clarity in these speakers at any volume.

Submitted by AARON SEALS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I HAVE OWNED KLIPSCH,BOSE,JBL,TECHNICS,AND POLK AUDIO. I HAVE TWO PAIRS OF BOSTON VOYAGER (IN-DOOR/OUTDOOR) AND WHEN MY OUTDOOR GRILLS GOT WEATHERED THEY SENT ME A NEW PAIR. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED BOSTON WILL REPLACE MY PAIR OF KLIPSCH IN THE LIVING ROOM ON MY NEXT UPGRADE.

Submitted by D Dean a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
These speakers unfortunately can only be purchased with a gateway computer. However, the sound is fantastic.
This is the digital version, with dolby digital decoding and a spdif-in digital connection on the sub.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind with these speakers. If you want really fantastic sound, get a sound blaster live full version sound card.

If you use the spdif-out on the sound card to the spdif-in on the subwoofer, distortion almost doesn't even exist. For rear speakers, hook up another another set of speakers (probably another manufacturer- i am using a magnavox separated speaker boombox temporarily) through the rear analog out of the SBLive. You can adjust rear volume that way easily as well.

Also, do NOT get the BA surround speakers that you can get with the system. They are not powered and can't be heard if going out of the sblive rear output. Normally for the BA system, the rears are supposed to run out of the BA Digital Media Theater sub, but you can't get EAX (4 speaker- 3d game and stereo music surround) support that way.

You will want to switch the rears out of the sub when playing dvd though, because the sub has a dolby digital (not pro logic) decoding on-board (with a simulated center channel).

When i upgraded to the sblive, i couldn't believe what i was hearing from the speakers! The sound is so clear it's eerie, and with 4 speaker surround it's just irresistible. With the sblive and the digital connection, music moved up a plane I was not prepared for. My roommate said that it was the best sound he had ever heard.

These speakers can also be heard probably about a block or more away, with hardly any break-up at max! Don't hurt yourself, these speakers definitely give you more volume than you need, and the sub is very strong and accurate. I don't play classical often, but cellos will give you chills.

There is sub volume control, regular volume and surround volume on the main front satelite. Also very thoughtfully they put a head phone output on it too.

I cannot emphasize the gobs of clean power you get. I of course love music and now when i need my fix, i can just crank it and get some serious attention to detail - i'm not worthy.