Bose 802 Series 2
MSRP  1955.00
Description: (See reviews)

Submitted by sunidayze a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hi guys,

Since many of you have used these speakers in perhaps a variety of setups.. I am asking for your much needed help.

I have 4 x Bose 802 Series II only. I would love to power them and get the best from their usage. I intend to use them in my living room mainly for karaoke and if good enough to listen to music with them.. maybe even for movies too if that could be done.

As for the controller, I heard that the Panaray Digital System Controller can not be used with the Series II, only with the Series III - is this true?

If I cant use the Panaray, will the old controller be just as good? I also dont have any cables / wires.

What else would I need to set it up for my inteneded use? I have no experience with equipment so details would help very much.

Thank you and very much appreciated.

Submitted by MICHAEL WALTERS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have been a professional sound consultant, system designer and integrator since the late 70's. I have used 802's sucessfully in probably 100 venues, from air shows where 8 each 802's spread out over a quarter mile flight line fed intelligible sound to 100,000 people, and when I watched the evening news telecast, the reporter was doing interviews from the front gate of the airbase, over a mile away and you could hear the Bose 802, clear, and intelligibly! Even the Blue Angels were impressed. On the other extreme I tacked a 3000 seat domed church worship center, alone an acoustical nightmare. With with some intelligent acoustic baffles that I had designed, 4 arrayed Bose 802 pairs with 2 Bose 502 subs, were able to perform an amazng flat 20hz-15khz within 1 db across the entire room! Rich, sweet, strong vocals, and the professional percussionist said it was the tightest bass he had ever heard!

I have heard all the naysayers about the Bose 802 array speakers. I also have witnessed many unsatisfied users who discarded the true beauty of these speakers. I ran into many who used graphic equalizers instead of the absolutely necessary 802 EQ as Bose use to call it before they redefined it as a "controller" The controller is the heart of the system.

If you never had satisfactory results let me challenge you to do the following. Never connect a graphic eq in the chain with an 802. Instead use a quality Feedback exterminator such as a Sabine, along with the Bose controller. It keeps the signal chain clean and harmonically transparent and you will get more control and sonic power . It makes all the difference. Not getting enough sound! Stack them! 2-3-4 high!

No doubt Bose excels in vocal intelligibility. At a new worship facility grand opening, after much wrestling to get my design accepted, the minister asked to meet me after the opening service where he commended me saying." Our largest benefactor, who had hardly darkened the church doors for years said he would be coming back, all due to the fact that he could hear the message clearly, without the sound system rattling his hearing aid!

Yes there are some great speakers out there, but the 802 has its place if and only if they are set up correctly! Naysayers just never heard an 802 set up correctly!

Submitted by XTC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have used the 802's only when they have been supplied and could'nt for whatever reason use other speakers. If they were so great why do most Pa hire companies shy away from them? I think people who swear by them may not have heard "real" pa systems and are using the 802"s for vocals and instruments which do not require serious volume and clarity. I don't have any "beef with bose its just that there are better speakers for the same money, JBL,EV RCF etc. In short "no highs no lows thats bose"

Submitted by Dave Horne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've been using my Bose 802's for over 15 years and they always sound great. My typical use - electric piano (CP300) and a Shure SM58 mic if I'm working with a singer. I always get compliments on the sound and usually run a CD through it on breaks; I can hear for myself just how good it sounds.

I admit there was a problem years ago with the wiring of the XLR outputs. I use 1/4 inch jacks which add slightly more noise (than using XLR) but on a job you'll be hard pressed to hear a difference.

Before I bought those 802's for myself I had used them for almost 20 years in the military. (I was a musician in the military for 20 years.) We abused those speakers and they never let us down. (We would play bowling for Bose and slide them on hardwood floors to save carrying them to the stage. Of course, we did that when the officer's weren't looking.) I can recall only one time when one driver had to be replaced. They are not efficient speakers but with a powerful amp they really sound great. (I use a QSC PLX1804.)

If you are playing in a large hall (following the owner's manual from Bose), place the speakers next to each other (instead of stage left and stage right) and you'll achieve better coverage. For the longest time I would place the speakers, one on my left and one on my right. I now place them behind me and above me and angled slightly away from each other and they sound great. I should have read the owner's manual more carefully when I first bought them.

My counter to all the so-called negative press regarding Bose - how come I never (or very rarely) see any used 802's for sale? While it is tempting to buy the Series III, my Series II's have held up well for over 15 years.

I still get a kick from the design of the case. There is no need whatsoever to buy a flight case for these speakers. My speakers have been dropped a few times and there might be a scratch or nick in the plastic case, but they still look excellent.

If I had to do this all over again, I'd still buy the 802's.

Submitted by Bubbarosa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have been using these awesome speakers (4) for about a year now for karaoke and DJ'ing along with a pair of 502BP's. They are awesome for karaoke. The clarity and dispersion is fantastic. For music, though. even with the 2 subs the bass wont knock your eyes out of there sockets, but close. They play very very loud with absolutely no distortion. I just wish the subs had more UMPH, I am adding 2 more... then maybe I can make everybody go blind, and/or deaf. They do suck up a lot of power. I am pushing the four 802's with a Mackie FRS2600 and the 2 502 subs with only a Mackie FR1400. Maybe this is why the bass isn't as loud as I was hoping for. They do suck without the Bose Equalizer. This is NOT a "BOSE" Home entertainment system which costs about two hundred times what it is worth and is not that good, so pls do not compare it to any of those products.