Bose 401
Description: Direct/Reflecting Floorstanding Speaker - (2) 6.5" Woofers and 2" Tweeters

Submitted by Froze a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
I read some of the reviews here and in fact found myself stunned over all the gushing on these speakers, so I located a set of used ones and thought I would try them out. First I took the speakers over to Speaker World to make sure they didn't need any repairs done first because I did get them rather cheap, then took them home and hooked them up to my smaller Fisher 800C tube receiver and popped in a few CD's and the speakers sounded boxy on every CD. The base was muddy and mid range was boxy or hollow sounding, and the highs were not that clear.

So ok, maybe it was the Fisher so I hooked them up to my main system which consists of two amps so I was able to try both separately since there is no biamp'ing possible with these, the first amp is a MacIntosh MC275 (a tube amp that normally runs the mids and highs on my main speakers) and the other is a Harman Kardon PA2400 (which normally runs the base speaker on my mains). First I connected the Mac and got the same dismal sound, thinking perhaps the speakers just don't like tube amps so I connected it to the HK and it sounded worse in the mids and highs but the base went from muddy to punchy with a hollowness to it.

So back to Speaker World I went to find out if something was wrong that the physical inspection missed, they hooked them up to some of their stuff and the owner said something quite amazing, he said there was nothing wrong with those speakers functionality but they sounded just like Bose had built them...crappy. He said they used cheap drivers which is why with the cabinet and speakers combined only weighed 29 pounds. So back on Craigslist they went and I sold them a week later for small amount more than I paid.

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
After reading all the bad reviews about these speakers I was a bit concerned about buying 401s but I picked up a pair for 40 dollars in good condition and have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how good these sound. I have had Magenpan 1.6, Martin Logan Source, B&W DM1400, Dali, Mission Elegante and Final electrostats so have a reasonable background to compare and I can happily sit and listen for hours to these. I find the imaging, tonality, dynamics, bass, treble and midrange to be very acceptable to me and they are quite revealing of micro details which I wasn't expecting. I was expecting to hear a dull lifeless unbalanced bass and treble shy sound going by the reviews but that hasn't eventuated at all. I do get the feeling that they might not be very amp friendly though, which is just a feeling. I am running these on Denon POA-S10 monoblocks and a Micromega Mydac, so you could say that amplification is ample and I would think that you would want something reasonable to get good results (GIGO). I bought these as a fill in until I can get some more Maggies but I am having to seriously rethink that now considering I got these so cheap. Anyway time will tell.

Submitted by BOSE401 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Bottom Line:
These speakers were wonderful when I had them plugged in... I've had them sitting in my living room, no more have an amp, and want to sell. Contact me? andreacostadesign at gmail

Submitted by john a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have a set of floor modle bose 401 speakers.and I also have a set of early bose 501 speakers and they are also the floor modle speakers I had to re cone the bose 501 speakers does that hurt the value on my bose 501 speakrs

Submitted by Purtain a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
IMHO, these are great rock speakers and great speakers, in general. Mainly, though, for those folks who think they need a sub with these, are you kidding?!!. Maybe, it's your amp. Check it out. I'm running these with a Carver 6200 and I practically have to turn the bass EQ all the way down, and I'm into rock with a serious amount of bass. I'm listening to the Stones 'Sympathy for the Devil' (on the radio, no less) and the bass line sounds awesome!