B&W P4
Description: 2-Way System - 6.5" Woofer and 1" Tweeter (1995-1997)

Submitted by jonas dogue de bordeaux a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2015

Bottom Line:
These speakers with a little tinkering with the crossover can sound superb, by removing the 2 electrolytic capacitors and replacing them with a 4.7 mfd. for more treble detail short the resistor this brings the treble forward slightly in my system they sound so much better the bass sounds better as a result also check out my youtube channel jonas dogue de bordeaux. There you will find lot's of modifactions to dacs cd player's & speakers
for ,,,,,as good as speakers costing 3 times the price when modified
Against ,,,,,,, tame tweeters lacking sparkle before modifications fault lies with crossover geat tweeter
can be had for as cheap as £200 on ebay bargain oh the better the amp and source the more music theys baby's let through

Submitted by joshcloud9 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Bottom Line:

I've had these speakers since the late 90's in the UK and continue to enjoy them in the US. I do not feel the need to upgrade. i"m on my 3rd pair now :)

They have two very compelling features, the transmission line loaded design produces superbly tight and tuneful bass. The 1st order crossovers contribute to this naturalness. A rare combination.

Great value at used prices now.

Submitted by cool09 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I don't know what these reviewers are talking about. I was excited to get these speakers. They are very small. Like tiny towers. There is coloring in the tweeters. Vocals do not sound realistic. Vocals almost sound like they're coming thru some insulation, etc. The bass is very muddy. The mids need some work. They don't stand out. The speakers can fill an average size room pretty well. Using a powerful Sansui AU-517 60wpc integrated amp to power these. They did need some pushing, not like my Polk Monitor 10 or JBL L100. I had to get the volume up to 1/4 before they started to hit a moderate listening level. I am going to look for another pair of speakers. Very disappointed.

Submitted by Andrew stennett. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
Last wk end me&my friend were traveling to Audio gold in Crouch end.I could not believe my eyes!Somebody left a pair of B&w p4 speakers,Audio lab 8000c amp,Marantz 63 ki cd player,Vandam hale d 103 mark 3 interconnects&speakers cables& a Yamaha k580 se Tape deck.A few hours after that i tested everything to make they work properly.The p4`s have a wide bandwidth on the midrange`but very lively when you hear that dome tweeter dance away!Need i say more!I feel like a little kid again who can`t get enough,christmas has come early for me. Whooooooooooo!

Submitted by nick200wrx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Having owned a lot of speakers (currently kef concerto one, mission 780se and some tdl rtl2's) and previously monitor audio s6, tdl rtl3's, monitor audio br2, epos es14's, kef q35i, I have to say these are running 3rd in this list.
I owned a pair for a couple of days a few years back when I had my monitor audio s6's and was then amazed at how similar they sounded, so when I ended up selling my monitor audio's for financial reasons I thought I'd invest in some P4's.
I got them from ebay for £82.00 and I can tell you all now that for less than £500 in todays money still nothing comes close to there sweet trable, wide soundstage and depth and speed of the bass.

And to add to an already good speaker apparently its not too difficult to upgrade the crossover to new levels.

In conclusion these are a bargain even now if you can find a pair.