Aura LINE SOURCE LSB-527M
Description: BOOKSHELF, MONOPOLE TWEETER/5.25" MIDRANGE

Submitted by devman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
just got these in yesterday from ubid and listened to them for about an hour and was shocked how good they sounded for their size and they're probably not even fully broken in yet. I 'm currently using mission 703 floorstanders and amost seem to prefer the sound from the aura's better, particularly the highs - this is a nice sounding tweeter. i agree with the last reviewer that these are a liitle power hungry but they can really sing at high volumes. i disagree with his reviews about the bass. the mid-driver is only 51/4 " but the bass is quick and punchy without sounding heavy or booming, but because of it's size does have some lower extension limitations, i guess it all comes down to preferences and tastes. In any event this is a fine sounding speaker and I strongly urge anyone looking for an inexpensive mini-monitor (not cheap mind you) to buy these before the ubid stock runs dry

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by cessna172 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I feel that it is my duty to post a review of this product. These are excellent, high quality loudspeakers at an amazing price. Get them while you still can!

I am a bit of a speaker junkie: I have 8 pair of speakers, running on 3 systems. Here's a list, and where I got them:

KLH 1238B's (Best Buy)
dbx/Soundfield 3x2's (DAK Catalog, 12 yrs. old and still great)
JBL S312's (800.com)
Polk RT800i's (American TV)
Wharfedale Emerald 97 Walnut's (uBid)
AR S40's (uBid)
2 pair of LSB527's (uBid)

I ordered a pair of Advent AS2's from uBid, at $157 shipped. They sent me 2 pair of LSB527's instead. I was really pissed. But, I know how crappy their returns department is, so I decided to hook 'em up and give 'em a listen. Boy, am I glad I did.

These little speakers have the best tweeters of any of my speaker systems, bar none. They are amazing. They are power-hungry for their size, and run at 6 ohms, but the sound is incredible. The sound and forward presence of the highs and mids are wonderful. I prefer listening to these little gems, in conjunction with my subwoofer, over my JBL's and even my Polk's. And there is no contest with my KLH's and dbx's. I now use my gigantic S312's as speaker stands for these most of the time.

The most amazing thing about these is the tweeter. It's an ugly thing, a ribbon type; no 2 look exactly alike because of imperfections and wrinkles. But the sound just jumps out at you. I have to adjust the treble way down when listening to TV programs because speech sounds unnaturally "essy". But listening to music is sweet. Very sensitive, nice sounding treble, and very accurate at reproducing the sound of stringed and wooded instruments, synthesizers, and tympanis. The tweeters are simply amazing. Midrange is great too, very sensitive and transparent.

The downside is related to their size. The mid-to-low bass is lacking to nonexistent. Paired with a good sub, you won't need any additional speakers to have an outstanding sounding system. And these speakers, what's left of them, are dirt cheap at uBid. For their size and price, they can't be beat. They're hard to beat by speakers of any size and price under a grand, as long as: a) you have a powered sub which does good mid-bass and lows; and b) you have a powerful amp. These need to be turned up a bit to get the full impact.

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This company is in serious trouble so that may be why they are being cleared out. This says nothing about the quality of the speaker but something about their business practices. So what about warranty coverage, it might be nil?

Submitted by Yuen Huang a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was actually bored one evening and shopping for a printer on Ubid. Surfed onto the speaker section because I'm always curious what people buy. Anyway, I'd never heard of Aura Sound so did a search online and read the reviews below.

In general, it's foolish to buy audio gear without listening first because preference is more important than benchmarks or descriptions and everyone has different ears. Anyway, for $19, I let my curiosity get the better of me, and based on Kevin C.'s review below, I decided to bid on a pair.

Wow. I had to come back to audioreview.com to write this commentary because the LSB-527Ms are really quite good speakers. Okay, they're not blow-your-mind good, but they are very, very good. Very accurate. Soundstage is a bit narrow, but it has some depth, which is impressive. (But maybe it's only impressive because I bought that sound for $19?) Anyway, they might be a bit bright for some ears, but I've listened to several CDs over several days now and I believe that they are more accurate than "bright." Meaning, they are good enough to reveal poorly recorded/engineered/mixed CDs. Some pop recordings do sound harsh. But jazz, vocals, even speech, all sound great.

Again, it might well be the $19 that's doing the listening... Seriously, these are great speakers. Get them for any price less than $120 if they're still available.

50 stars for value.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by Kevin C. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
As you can see I'm a big Aura fan...it's pretty hard to beat Aura gear for the money,particularily the ridiculous prices their gear commands on uBid. Aura was a sleeper in this industry(they sold their sound division two years ago due to financial difficulties with the parent company) ...their HT speaker package beat out three other systems(Energy,Jamo and ?) in a comparison test in Sound and Vision a couple years ago. All of the systems in the comparison hovered around $1000...the prices on uBid for Aura gear is insane...don't miss out or be afraid...Aura makes nice stuff.
Anyway,I picked up two pairs of 527M's on uBid last week(along with another LSC-537M Center Channel) which will eventually be placed in a smaller HT system in a spare bedroom or den. I immediately noticed that the 527M's couldn't fill my decent-sized living room with full-bodied sound like my LSW-828M's. That's to be expected since the 828's have an 8" woofer(versus the 5.25" woofer in the 527M) and a much larger cabinet(almost twice the size). I also noticed that the Linaeum monopole tweeter(the same one in my 828M's and 537M Center Channel) was quite a bit brighter than I was used to from my other Aura speakers..I guess it's the crossover in the 527M. I turned down the treble knob to soften the highs and then I proceeded to crank the heck outta the 527M's. They sound like my other Aura speakers but they're limited by their small size. They sounded very good in our living room but they couldn't fill the room with authority like the 828M's. However, that's not a problem for me because I intend to place them in a smaller setting where they can really shine. These would still be great in your main HT setup if you're not looking for bone-jarring sound. The bass is tight, the mids are nicely-detailed...it's a solid little package. In fact, I'm trying to convince my wife's best friend to buy four 527M's and the Aura LSC-537M center channel on uBid instead of the all-in-one crappy Sony system at Best Buy. You could pick up a powered sub(the BIC DV1010 or the Dahlquist 12"er) to fill in the low end and you have nice,tight-sounding HT system that would only set you back $350-$380. You could also pick up a Sherwood RD6106 or RD7106 A/V Receiver for $140-$175 on uBid and you're set. I tried to convince my wife's friend that she could probably get the Sherwood RD6106 A/V Receiver,(4)Aura 527M's for mains and surrounds,an Aura LSC-537M Center Channel,and a BIC DV1010 powered sub for $450-$480 on uBid. The crappy Sony system at Best Buy is on sale for $380 but it doesn't hold a candle to the system that I proposed. For an extra $70-$100 she could have system that she'd enjoy for years to come and it wouldn't break the bank.Does she listen to me?..No!...LOL. Oh well,it's her loss. I'm sure her husband will grow tired of the Sony system in a hurry and get a real HT system. The Sony system is OK(at best) for a bedroom or small room but it's gonna be a big disappointment in their decent-sized living room. You just can't help some people..(snicker).

BTW, when uBid sells the remaining batches of Aura speakers then they're gone forever. The company that purchased Aura's sound division(Aura Sound...www.aurasound.com) doesn't make these speakers...the stuff on uBid is the remaining inventory from the original company.

I would give the 527M's a higher value rating if I could.

Purchased At:   uBid