Apogee Acoustics stages
Description: ribbon speaker

Submitted by mittg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
Very good soundstage. Depth and placement of instruments is very good. Accurate,clear crisp sound.Stages need very clean power and lots of it. I have some very good tube amps and digital/ss amps. The amps I have run with ohms 5 mkII's, Quad ESL 57's, Centaur minors and Apogee Stages. I like the tube better with the Quads but with the Stages the ss/digital wins hands down. As I said Stages need the cleanest power you can supply. Very low distortion. With tubes the low end rolls of on "Dark Side of the Moon". Not with my ss. The stages go as low as they need to. Check out Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra disc Viva. It is a supurb recording. The soundstage depth is acsensuated with the Apogees. I have the speakers 2 ft from the back wall and 2 ft from the side wall. Toed slighty in and 24ft apart. My seating area is 12-15 ft from the speakers. They fill the room. They do strings very well. I like to put on the Irish Harp Orchestra. Friends are amazed at the clarity of the strings and the life like sound. To show off the highs in a different way I have an Sacd version of "shaft" by Isaac Hayes. Quite impressive especially at high volume. My ears do not tier from the sound. No fatigue after hours of listening.. Female vocals (Eva Cassidy,Diana Krall) very very smooth. I did ad a sub and keep it very low. If I did not tell someone they would not know.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Vincent a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
My Stages have gone through an evolution of an ever better supporting cast of audio equipment since my last post and, like Lloyd below, I thought I should give an update. In my lower post, I was using Bryston, B&K, and Sony. Even though visiting listeners felt my amp/cd player were making great tunes with my Apogee, I still knew there was room for improvement. Knowing the Apogee Stage is capable of near perfection, I sensibly looked at my other components for the culprits, instead of dumping on the Stage. There was a hint of grain, a distinctive brightness, some ringing in piano, and a little thinness overall. About that time a friend brought his Jolida cd player over for a listen. The Jolida cost a two thirds less than my still under warranty Sony ES. There was no contest. The Jolida was better in every respect. This successful upgrade got me thinking about the Amp. Watching Audiogon, I snagged a Jolida 1000 tube amp with upgrade tubes. This amp had a mean power rating of 100 watts compared to my B&K‘s 200 watt rating. Again, no contest, despite the phantom power inequality, the Jolida was better in every category except bass slam. The Jolida provided a better trade off by smoothing the bass, digging deeper, and making it sound more real. The Jolida’s well bodied midrange and smooth treble were so much better its not funny.

With this humble assortment, I can play the mighty Zep so loud, as to bring in the police. Percussion, even from this “baby Apogee” will send shivers down your back. All the while cymbals, and high hats have more realistic air and clarity than any dome or cone can serve out. Orchestras are laid out with proper width and depth. Each instrument can be picked out from the whole, even during the heat of a crescendo, right down to the faintest triangle accent. Each instrument retains its own characteristic sound, never muddied as will happen with dynamic drivers. Singers can be reached out and touched. Another beautiful thing about a perfect synergy Apogee set up, unlike box speakers, is that no matter how loud things get, it never is fatiguing. Also, if you want to turn things down real low you can do so without diminishing any other aspect of the performance. Now that’s transparency.

All, save one, of the reviewers below have agreed on Apogee’s supremacy over any box speaker they have ever listened to. In my own experience, all my visitors have unequivocally proclaimed Apogee best they've heard at making music. My brother in law, owner of a complete High Definition Tv theater set up, warned me about buying into “old technology.” When he finally was able to make a visit, he did so with a handful of dynamic cds in tow. He was literally floored by what he was hearing. Firstly, never having heard dipole speakers before, he was entranced by the music’s independence of of the speakers. Then he remarked on all the little things he had never heard before. He summed up his comments by admitting he had to eat his words, and proclaim this is the best he had ever heard.

Unfortunate for some owners, Apogees are chameleons. They will mercilessly betray any weak link in your audio system. I know this, because I have heard Apogees sound awful. Placement is critical. Room characteristics can make or break an Apogee performance. An ailing Apogee, i.e., one with stretched ribbons, will fail the listener. There is one more crucial player in a good system - a healthy listener. Ears can deceive, especially if damaged over time.

I can say from my own experience, both listening to my inexpensive, but great set up, and to other successful systems, healthy Apogees NEVER sound plasticky, grainy, wispy, or tinselly as reported by Lloyd below. If they did suffer from any one of those negatives, then Apogees would not have ended up at the Smithsonian Institute’s Museum flanking Mozart’s piano, and Audio's Anthony H Cordsman would never have chosen an Apogee over the IRS Series 5, and Duntech Sovereign 2001 as the world’s ultimate speaker.

Here are a few of Cordsman’s quotes: “Instruments and voice retain all their natural quality, from the softest to the loudest passages...The Apogee allow me to hear musical detail in an exceptionally convincing and realistic way, especially in the areas which depends on complex harmonics or overtones, resolution of detail in low level passages, and handling very rapid changes in dynamics.”

There are thousands of Apogee owners out there who know how lucky they are. Just check out comments here and at where you can read all the great Apogee reviews as well.

Let me conclude by saying this is my swan song for the fabulous Apogee Stage. I have sold my Stages to a fortunate and eager buyer. As for a replacement, I thought I should just go out and buy a cheap JBL. Nah! I’m getting an Apogee Duetta. Look for my next review there.

Vincent

Submitted by Wes a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you can find some of these speakers in your area to purchase used do so without hesitation. I was lucky enough to get them from my Brother-law who was forced to spend a lot of money to get smaller speaers when he returned to college. He had them for 10 years and used them in a Wadia/spectral/spectral/mit system that costs more than my car. You would have to spend some very serious money to outclass these speakers -- and then only if associated equipment is off the charts. These speakers are compelling on vocals/instrumentals/percussion. They are not the last word in low bass reproduction, but are much better than 90% of the flabby subwoofers you hear. Test tones flat to under 35 hz. If you get a chance to listen to them I think that is all it will take to make you a convert. The only downside is they are big and heavy and shipping is likely to be expensive/risky.

Purchased At:   audiogallery

Submitted by CARLOS MELO a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
After 10 years of great service, the right tweeter gave up
it´s soul. I was hoping to find some help, to get them
back in service. Uortunatly it seems that no one has
this spare part. If anyone could give some help, or info
on how to get a spare tweeter would be grateful.

Submitted by Henry Ho a

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
Like Everything else in life, nothing is perfect. No !!! the Stage is not the perfect speakers. But It has alot of different qualities that many others lack. When It comes to transparency, soundstage, imaging, and most importantly, coherent sound,there are few can touch. Now, if you are looking for head bangging bass (usually far from real) and loudness that the whole neighborhood can hear, then go get the Cervin vegas with 15 inch woofer, because the Stage can't do that. It doesn't mean that the Stage is completely flat like some of the pure Stats from Martin Logan (CLS). The Stages, again like all the full range Apogee, have bass, that in my opinion, the most Transparent bass, therefore accurate and true to music, than any other speakers on the market, even when compare to brand names like Thiel, Wilson, Big Infinity, B&W, Ariel, Hales, and the list goes on.

So, If you have a chance to buy the Stage or any full range Apogees, by all means, buy them. Why pay thousands for mini monitor when there's not a single mini monitor out there that can touch the Stage.