Altec Lansing Voice of The Theater

Submitted by Jeff Potter a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
Oh man! I first heard my speakers at my uncle's house in Hollywood when they were his and I was 20. I fell in love with music at that time -- largely thanks to these speakers. Jazz especially. (Nightly visits to jazz clubs helped. Music was important to my uncle.) I'm now 53 and this past summer my uncle passed away and I inherited the speakers. (They're probably 1960's-era.) I flew 2000 miles from home to resolve his estate. At first I planned to sell the speakers and almost everything else. (I was hoping to keep his Citroen DS, but that was not to be.) I had an offer of $1k for them -- a cheery figure! As we worked on the house, friends and I would listen to the speakers in the evening. At one point one friend said "Listening to these things I'm crying but I'm not even sad." The one CD my uncle left in his player was Art Tatum & Ben Webster so we played that. Sometimes we'd go outside and stand in the street, listening to the music coming out of the windows. We all thought it was the best music we'd ever heard. We all agreed that I could not sell the speakers. So we strapped them onto a pallet and I had them shipped home via a semi-truck. We have a small house but I thought they might help our children learn to live better -- to have such an influence of beauty. People said they're too big, like washing machines in our little cottage living room. I said "Yes, that may be, but let's hear them before we decide." So I hooked them up to our generic little Sony receiver and played the Art Tatum Ben Webster CD for my wife and kids. The speakers passed the test and are still in our living room months later. They really like simple music: voice, horn, piano, strumming, slower drumming. You can hear everything. The detail seems to come out more than the ear could hear while listening live. It seems like we could charge admission to our house to hear them. We've had a couple parties. People love them. Now whenever I hear music elsewhere if it seems good I think "Wouldn't it be nice to hear this on the speakers?" I went to Best Buy and asked to listen to their best speakers. They had a leather easy chair set out in front of $5k electro-static speakers. They played me Pink Floyd. I asked if there was maybe something wrong with their set-up. It sounded quite lo-fi. A musician friend visited our house and said "Tape hiss would sound good on these." Indeed, I've listened to some bad old cassettes and somehow they sound good -- faded but still having dimension. I'd like to go to an audiophile store and see what they have. Should I risk it? I'm willing to be expanded further... My friends and I would like to haul them around to clubs in our area that don't have good sound systems. Our favorite outdoor beer garden often doesn't have any music at all. We could set up the speakers, maybe just in the back of a pickup, and really enjoy ourselves, as would everyone else. We'd feel like we were really somewhere. It would be my treat. They're the best things I own.

Submitted by westcott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
My father left me his pristine original Altec Valencia "Voice of the Theatre" speakers in their beautiful walnut cabinets. Even the grates are in very good condition. They date back to the early 60's. I grew up listening to these speakers and have always enjoyed the glorious sound they produce. No matter the volume level, these speakers speak the truth. Very large by today's standards but the solid walnut cabinets are beautiful pieces of furniture that you just don't see any more. They do 3.1 home theater duty in the master bedroom now. My wife spends a great deal of time using them when she watches her programming but I still find myself dropping in a CD or SACD every once in a while and slip back in time when music was music and speakers were speakers. If you ever get a chance to acquire an original pair of these works of art, you will not regret it.

Submitted by ocupatto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for a pair of Altec Valencia 846U speakers. They are essentially Voice of the Theatres, only modified for home use. These speakers are in the birch version.

I purchased these speakers for $900.00 in April 2006 at a consignment store in Sun City, Arizona.

I currently use them as my entire setup - music, movies, and tv.

Purchased At:   Consignment Shop - S

Submitted by deejayhotmix a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I own the Altec studio monitor's fifteen's. I love the deep clean bass i can push out of them, After installing a new set of woofers.. the horn drivers where blowen, i couldn't find and set of drivers to put back in them so i had to modify a pair of tweeters to fit them. but all in all i still get a good clean sound. Very good For A company that pretty much started the industral side of speaker systems..

Purchased At:   Second Hand Store

Submitted by canaris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Altec Lansing, Model 19's, studio monitors, purchased at ayrd sale, couldn't believe my luck, the 416B's were our of the cabinets, but were not damaged at all, I was amazed at the clean sound, they are much better in my home then the A7's, which i have now taken to my shop, gotta use them some place, I still have not heard any speaker system that can compare at all levels with the VOT, I drive them with Harmon Cardin, installed new diaphrams in the 808A's and I listen and totally enjoy

Purchased At:   yard sale