Acoustic Energy AESPRIT 300
Description: Stand-mount speaker 25mm silk dome tweeter 165mm alloy cone mid/bass drive unit Reflex loaded

Submitted by timrhube a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
My search is over, for a while. I purchased a pair of the AE-300s in the fall when my daughter went off to college and I moved the audio system into her old bedroom. Paradigm Studio 60sV.2 were the speakers originally moved into the room while the AE-300s were put in the living room with little use. My wife was happy because the Paradigms were always too large for her taste, so the 300s, in a nice cherry finish, were a good aesthetic match. I moved the 300s into the room when my wife was out of town for a week and fell in love with the sound. I actually preferred them to the Paradigms which were overpowering the small room. Well I sold the Paradigms and bought a second pair of the 300s for the listening room (breaking them in now).
These speakers are extremely detailed, instruments are located with pinpoint accuracy within the soundstage. It is cliche but I am hearing things deep in the recordings that I never heard before. Listen to the opening seconds of the DEAD MAN WALKING cd. As the Springsteen track begins there is a rattle of some sort located on the left that is barely noticeable on the Paradigms; it stands out much more clearly on the 300s. I never realized XTC's ORANGES AND LEMONS cd had a soundstage outside the speakers before. Along with the detail you get solid tight bass which is as low as one would expect a bookshelf speaker to go. Another strong point is wonderful female vocals come through.
My second pair is in the maple finish which looks great. Fit and finish is superb for the price I paid. If these are still available on ebay for an opening bid of $249 (new) it is worth a try. With on-line selling you could always sell them if not satisfied, try them.