Zenith IQDVD2300

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to say that I think some of the people who put up these posts are full of crap. Nobody, I'mean Nobody!! writes that lenghty of a review on a product they bought as a casual consumer. If you are that knowledgabe about DVD players, then why in the hell are you buying the Zenith 2300? To save money? BULL! I'm a computer tech, and i don't run out and buy a Compaq becuse it is cheaper. I know it is crap, so I buy top of the line stuff. You should be buying a Toshiba 9000 or something instead of complaing about the Zenith. You know what I think? Some of you work for Zenith, and are writing good reviews for it, and the one's who write the bad reviews that are extreamly lenghty work for some other company.

Anyway, I have the Zenith 2300, and I am satisfied with it, it does everything I need it to do and I would recommend it to somoene if they could buy it for about 150 to 200 dollars. If your Zenith didn't work stop your whining, take it back show them the receipt and get another one.

Purchased At:   UBID

Submitted by Brad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this DVD player on January 3 of this year and it worked fine with a few glitches here and there but nothing to get excited about after seeing all the reviews posted. However, while playing The Patriot just recently, I noticed that it was completely skipping parts and had a loss of picture. Luckily, I now work at the store in which I purchased it at. I got the number for Zenith and was directed to someone that could help me. After a few mishaps, I finally found the right person to talk to. I found out that the DVD player I had in my posession had the older version of Zeniths "Software". I was told I would recieve the labels in 2-3 days and am still waiting, but Kudos for Zenith on realizing what needs to be done. Other than this problem, its a WONDERFUL DVD player and I'm happy with my purchase!

Purchased At:   Costains

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Okay, last month I railed against this player because it did not play dual layer DVDs. I was also quite angry with Zenith for being unresponsive to my e-mail complaints. I am glad I posted here because someone saw my review and advised me to call a vp at Zenith directly. I did that and he put me in touch with the manager of customer service. A box was sent out two days later for me to send back my player postage paid (UPS 2nd day air!). I sent in the player and got it back a little over a week later also by UPS 2nd day Air. I played a dual layer disc on it...it works great! There was a note inside that they had upgraded it and tested it. Well, they must have done both, because I have no complaints! If you can get one of these players, please do so! If you have a problem with dual layer discs, don;t waste time with the customer service hotline or the website e-mail. Call Zenith's v.p. directly.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Bob a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up post: Zenith sent the shipping labels
and i received them within three days of contacting customer service. I shipped the unit to them and received it back in eight calander days. It was upgraded to play the dual layer discs and works flawlessly.. Very good customer service response and fast turn a round.

Submitted by Gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased a Sherwood6095R receiver. I did not try the built in D.D. decoder of the player into that receiver. I indicated on my first report about the optical sound quality on a Yamaha 2095. I did not like that sound quality on the Sherwood as well mainly due to a lack of dynamics. I did try an assortment of 75 ohm coax cables I had lying around from various vcrs etc. etc. I placed adapters on those coax cables. Out of a dozen tries, 3 gave excellent sound. One I know I purchased for less than $2 and is currently the one I am using. I even tried another optical cable from AR and the unit still could not deliver any dynamics. The sound was cleaner and had better imaging on the coax. I am more than satisfied with what I heard although the Pioneer 525 is somewhat better in imaging and dynamics with a optical cable, but not necessarily cleaner in sound quality. Both are respectable machines in this category although they have their differences.

The downconversion of the video IMO was superior on the Zenith than the Pioneer. I found the Zenith more pleasant to look at in this mode. Its color quality and image briteness beat the pants off the Pioneer which surprised me.