Meridian G98
Description: G98 DVD Audio Transport/Player

Submitted by bikemad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
I wanted a cd/dvd player transport that sounded good with both formats originally looked for a Esoteric not many about or some people wanted too much etc.
Anyhow saw a s/h ad for this Meridian G98DH knowing the pedigree behind this kit thought that could fit my bil.
Iit's fully digital has got HDMI out to tv upscales very well why go for Blue and HD when you've a limited cataloge of films normal dvd's look great on this.
Redbook cd sounds superb big soundstage dynamic and very clear smooth but you do need to partner well it may not suit all setups.
I hate some modern dry bright players so called upsampling which dont work I wont name them but so many out there just dont sound like music to me.
My old 3 box setup consisted of Teac T1 transport with clock 4 etc mods Meridian 518 processor(smooths hash gives vinyl sound from cd)then a Stello dac pre which I still own but sold the other 2.
This setup wiped the floor with many modern players till I found the G98 which on it's own brings me closer to the vinyl sound from small silver discs Im hearing even more than I knew was on each cd going though my collection.

Im giving a full 5 stars for this product it's excelent value for money and sounds as good as it looks.

Purchased At:   Hifi for sale site