Sony SCD C555ES 5 Disc SACD CD Player Multiple CD Players

4.47/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $1700.00

Revolutionary Super Audio CD meets 5.1-channel surround sound in this groundbreaking Sony! SACD's dynamics are thrilling, shifting effortlessly from breathy nuances to thunderous crescendos. And the SCD-C555ES's multichannel capability completely envelops you in the experience; you hear it from all angles via six discrete channels of ultra-high-resolution audio!

The SCD-C555ES also plays stereo SACDs and standard CDs with audiophile precision. Its multi-level Super Audio D/A converter contains a super-high-frequency DSD filter for SACD's, 1-bit Direct Stream Digital signal, and a separate filter optimized for standard CDs, ensuring fantastic sound for all your discs. Load this changer with any combination of SACDs and CDs, and you're off to spectacular new audio realms!

Submitted by David K Nakamura a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got a smokin' deal on ebay for this deck. Overall, I really like it a lot. It sounds great, especially with SACDs. I don't like the fact that many of the discs aren't hybrids, so it means owning 2 copies in many cases. Also, A-B'ing copies of Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' SACD version versus the newly remastered bitmapped redbook CD revealed that there is not much difference at all between a very well-mastered standard CD versus an SACD. Noise floor was pretty similar. The SACD played at a noticeably lower output level, necessitating volume adjustment.

This CD player is packed with features and full interconnectivity on the back panel. I listen to CDs and SACDs exclusively in 2-channel mode. Remote is a stock stick type, and only OK. I don't like the fact that the power switch is a hard on/off type, not controllable by remote control. Makes switching to a universal remote a pain. Also, the motorized front door over the CD drawer, while nice looking, seems superfluous to me-- just another motor and mechanism to break, adding complexity without bottom line sound value.

Still, this sucker is built like a tank and is physically huge, even for a 5 disc changer. For the price I paid, it's a freakin' steal.

Submitted by sslabs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased my C555ES used in June of 2003, the unit was made in March of 2001. Let's start with the build. This hefty unit weighs in at 25 pounds, and most of that is due to the fact that the unit has extra shielding from vibration, and things are compartmentalized. Taking off the top/side cover, you can see four main boards sitting on top of a steel case. Under that steel case is the actual changer, and off to the left in its own compartment are the R-Core transformers. Kitamura Kiden for the R-Cores (same as the UK 555ES, and XA777ES. Op amps and power supply caps are Nichicon, Nichicon 'fine gold' and Elna Silmic for those of you that ever wondered. The feet are also of the off-center design, and have large foam/rubber type pads. ALSO, unlike the C222ES, the C555ES is made in Japan.

FEATURES

Same as even the cheap entry level Sony SCD-CE775, in fact it shares the display unit with all the cheaper Sony decks. All the bells and Whistles like suffle play, play exchange (change out 4 while one plays) and CD text are all the same as the non-ES units. Even the bass management is the same (if memory serves), and this really isn't a bad thing, it gets the job done. However, I'm betting most audiophiles own full size speakers, and have at least good bookshelf speakers at the rear, so this is all a moot point. The C555ES can run in analog direct mode bypassing all the digital trickery for the best sound. Standard stuff around back, one optical and one coaxial digital out. One 5.1 and one 2 channel RCA out. And of course Sony's A1 II control that I have never ever used. C555ES does have a white noise test.

THE SOUND

With current prices I feel I should speak for the not so rich audiophiles on a budget. Bottom line: in spite of some minor complaints of others, playing some good old CDs, this deck will smoke anything coming out of the major electronics chain stores. No big surprise there. The SACD section is fantastic (for the price). I never had to deal with break-in as this unit is used. Unlike standard players, Sony rates this machine not from 20Hz to 20Khz but from 2Hz to 50Khz. Yes SACD goes out to 100k, but to keep your amp from reproducing sonics past 50K that could cause other issues, the machine cuts off at 50k for SACD. The bottom end is really rich, and detailed. Mids like vocals and piano sound fantastic. Noise floor is really low, fine decay is really very good at this price point.

UPGRADES for tweakers abound. There are sites that you send your deck to, and those that supply DIY kits, so this unit has TONS of potential for those wanting near flagship sound while keeping the 5 disc feature. This machine was an okay deal at debut (MSRP of $1700.00) but now running anywhere from $500-700 used and around the $1000 dollar mark new (hard to find but still a few floating around at this writing). Used this deck is a FANTASTIC deal.

At some point I will post a longer review (not possible at audioreview.com) at my music review site. Here are some pics of the inside of the C555ES. I was very annoyed that I couldn't find any pics so I've created my own. If you can't see them, it's very likely that all of you have smoked up my bandwidth. In that case e-mail me, I'll fire them off to you. I change my e-mail from time to time, my most current address can always be found here

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by George-Palo Alto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Outstanding audio reproduction from SACD but the DAC for CD is lacking. This was resolved by adding a external DAC and it is an excellent transport for CD. I am disappointed that multichannel is becoming such an issue with audio since it totally destroys the soundstage. I use the SACD portion in a stereo only mode and the soundstage is incredible and very defined. Closing your eyes and listing you can pick out the position of every musician and the subtle overtones seem well defined. With standard CD’s and the MSB DAC it is excellent unit and the sonic quality is outstanding although there many other units that work well as a transport for a external DAC. It is a great unit and I am pleased with my purchase. There are many other CD Players that may be a better deal but I am happy with this one.

Current System
MSB Link DAC 3 w/HDCD upgraded & Powerbase
Panasonic DVD-RP91K DVD Player
DVDO iScan Pro Progressive Scan Display Interface
Monster HTS-3500 Power Conditioner
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 (Rosenut)
Paradigm Reference Studio CC Center Channel Speaker (Black)
Paradigm Reference Studio ADP Surround Speakers (Black)
Sunfire TrueSub MK2 Subwoofer
Marantz RC9000 Color LCD Remote Control
Sennheiser HD 590 Prestige Headphones

Purchased At:   Local Store

Submitted by jamescroak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am sitting here listening to Miles Davis blow his way through the Sketches of Spain with the same goose bumps that I had when I saw him at the Quiet Knight in Chicago thirty years ago, that’s how good this Superaudio is, startling so. I never had a spare $25k or so needed for a high end turntable, arm and cartridge but now I have the same or better sound for a paltry $599. As a hardcore audiophile I can recommend this unit for any level of system and it has but twenty hours on it. If the other reviews posted here are to be believed, a long break-in period is mandatory, thus it will get only better, although I don’t know how. The CD performance is on the level of a Meridian 508.24 but a tad less than the best Accuphase or Levinson, but who cares I’m done with that format altogether. The only problem I see with Super Audio CD is the word “CD” is still in the title; they should have called it Super Audio Small Vinyl or Super Audio Flat Tape, or somesuch. I am further surprised, and impressed, that they designed an acceptable level multi-disc tray player, I was skeptical that it could have the same sound as a single play tray and a clamped disc, but there is no discernable sound loss. Most impressive feature: the tray can eject while the player is playing a SACD, allowing one to load up another batch of perfect sound forever. Finally!

Purchased At:   J&R MusicWorld

Submitted by bryanspee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I jumped into this idea because the price was right and I needed a new CD player. It has many great features, the unit is a tank, the display has everything I need and most importantly the sound is very good. I am upset with the number of SACDs available. It seems that most of the SACDs available are the ones I would never buy. Totos greatest hits, come on now-I live in NYC, we have huge Sony store and they dont even have a great selection, I'm sure they have all thats out on SACD but again its not much. I advise that you look into the available titles first before buying. Overall I do love it but they should offer a better selection of NEW music on this format.

Atlantic Technology :