Theta Digital TLC DACs

4.13/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $199.00

Anti Jitter device. Theta Digital's Timebase Linque Conditioner (TLC) works by "cleaning up" the digital signal from your transport or other digital source. Inside the TLC, the digital signal is conditioned with ultra-fast logic and re-clocked with an ultra-low-jitter master clock. The TLC can be used to improve the quality of virtually any digital source, producing increased detail more stable imaging, and better transparency. It's a much more involving experience.

Submitted by esec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I wish to share my experiences with this component here as I have been using it for more than 13 years. I owned the original TLC but a year back, part of the circuit burned out so I had it replaced with a used one bought at S$90 only from a local buy/sell forum. Apparently not many appreciate this product & may have some bad experiences with it, so this partly account for the low low price. And, the replacement is the newer model with the separate DC power supply which is better!

I use the TLC together with a Kimber AGDL & Audioquest VideoZ cables. These are comparatively very much cheaper than the top-of-line Aural Symphonic digital cables (Statement, Standard) I have. When used with a very old model CD player, the Marantz CD52 (bought at S$60), the sound improved tremendously & comes close to being on par with the Theta CD transport (S$3K) I have. Out of curiosity, I used the TLC with the Theta CD transport & lo & behold, I was shocked; the sound quality took a great leap up another level, doubled, if I may say so. I had not expect this result with a high-end transport but the music was now so much more relaxed, refined & real. The music from a piano sound so eerily lifelike & comes much closer to that from a real piano playing in my house. Similarly, when connected from a Pioneer LD player via a Toslink cable, the sound quality improved significantly, though not by the same degree as the CD transport.

I have experiment with many cables in these setups & I must that the results vary. With some very expensive cables like the Aural Symphonics, the improvement is mininal or the results can even be negative. Why, I don't really know. So the right match/synergy, if this is the proper word to use, is critical when using the TLC. As this is a very old product, the TLCs can be obtained very cheaply. So those who owned older transport/dac separates may want to consider putting this in their system. You may be pleasantly surprised or thrilled as I am in my case!

Purchased At:   Buy/Sell Forum

Submitted by pekak62 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
NOTE Price paid was A$500. OK only in bog standard form. The Theta needs to be modded before it really shines. Paul Miller of Miller Audio Research reviewed this unit when it first came out and found out that the input and output had a common ground. Break the ground and it will be the better for it. (Look up I think circa 1995 Hi-Fi News and Record Review - alternatively e-mail me if you want a scan of the article.) I did the mod - replacing the cheap RCA sockets with 2 separate quality units thus giving the input and outputs separate grounds. Modded with a decent power supply, this unit transforms, more than meets the ears. Std is OK but Modded is the only way to go.

Purchased At:   Leading Edge Audio,

Submitted by Marty a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is yet another largely useless audio "gadget" whose only legitimate purpose is to convert signals between forms. As far as being a jitter-reducer, it serves no purpose whatsoever and actually induces jitter into your soundstream. I tried this contraption between a Theta ProPrime IIA and both a Theta Data Basic and a CAL Delta transport and it mutilated the sound in both cases. Jitter boxes as a whole are suspect at best and rely largely on junk science and the ever-amazing gullibility of "audiophiles" for sales. If you want to experience the absolute worst in sound mutilation, chain a couple of these clunkers together, or better yet, use them with an Isophase crossover- you won't believe how similar your speakers can sound to a couple of soup cans while this thing is on. The extra-cost external power supply made absolutely no difference. If your transport has a serious enough jitter problem to warrant your looking into gadgets to rectify it, perhaps it's time to replace it with one that works properly- a good transport doesn't jitter. If you're relying solely on your golden ears to tell you if this thing works, I would suggest you learn to use an oscilloscope and run your own tests on it as I did. Unless you have some arcane need to convert signals from one form to another, don't waste your money on this toy.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Tranny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
This kind of product is brain teasing. But, after years of use withan Adcom GDA-700, I've determined it actually "adds" jitter.

Does not work well at all with my Sony S500 DVD as transport. This may be the fault of a poor QC on the Sony Dig Out. But, a double locking device like the GDA-700 lokcs faster on any transport without the TLC in the chain. It has alos become unreliable after 4 or 5 years, losing it's lock while playing music. I now use a Denon w1500 as transport, but the TLC resides in the closet.

Submitted by shakey_jakey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Fantastic. I was about to invest in an Audiocaom upgrade for clock & PS for my Sony SACD777ES but no longer. The TLC using Optical in and spdif out provides new focus, sharpness & stability to the whole soundstage.

Treat your discs with TLC!

I've seen other people handle CDs and DVDs as if they were indestructible. I take great care to handle mine properly, keeping them from in climate-controlled conditions, protected from temperature extremes. Here's an article about someone who didn't take necessary precautions, and found that som ... Read More »

High End: