Soundstream DAC-1 DACs

3.87/5 (15 Reviews)

Digital-to-Analog converter

Submitted by mch2475` a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
I got my DAC-1 back in 1997; we are now in year 2012 and I still very much enjoy this device's musical performance. Over the years, I have bought, sold, upgraded and laid to rest all kinds of cd players, dacs, amps, speakers, pre pro receivers, cables, dvd player then blu ray; yet some how, I always kept My DAC-1. If used right, Dac-1 can give you a satisfying glimpse into the "higher end" world with better imaging, transparancy and detailed bass few cd players can ever show you. To make this thing "work", you need to have either a pure analog preamp/receiver or a home theater preamp/processor/receiver that has Analog Bypass. without pure analog or bypass mode ON, you are wasting your time as the receiver's built in A to D processor will automatically digitize the incoming analog signal so it can offer bass management and soundfield functions. Unfortunately that digitization process usually obliterates the tiny-tiny muscial nuances us audiofiles are hoping to get by adding an external DAC to our systems.
As for build quality, Metal film caps, Burr Brown D/A converter, Class A output stage, all in a thick metal box with bolted on RCA and Coax inputs.
As one of the other reviews says: "If you can find one grab it."

Submitted by SnTholiday a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review after 10 years of owning this product. I can say that it is still sounding better than ever. If it was built with cheap parts do you think it would still be working after 10 years? I don't think so. The previous reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about it (even though his review was 7+ years ago). I am listening to this DAC connected to a Harman Kardon HK3390, and 10 year old Sennheiser HD 570s and loving it. They just don't make things like they used to. I doubt this DAC will be available at this point in time, but if you can find one grab it.

Submitted by Gordon01 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This supplement is for my published last time. It has marked 28/02/92 on the main board of DAC-1. I start to take a test for the sounds formally after the DAC-1 has continued to run-in over 100hrs with my audio system. (Usually I never turn off the power of my pre-amp.) So this test would be so fair. The results of the DAC-1 are overall sounds have a bit unnatural, lost sensibility of the vocals, sound stage became narrow (about 1 to 2 feet’s) in my system, none of improvements from LF to Ultra HF, musical instrument fuzzy, it completely wasted money even power fee. Otherwise, the DAC-1’s out board power supply. It should call power adapter. I think it was for the reduced costs more than improved the sounds. Because it just used very cheap parts and has very poor structure as same as your children’s toys. Then I discovered all diodes were negatives direction in combination. So the output wire also needs to negative connection. It built like as by children. Even has over about 30% or higher power output without notice in the user’s guide. . So nobody would knows how acceptable power input range of this DAC-1. It is very dangerous for your audio system. For the stuffs with their adverted, you would mirages that at lease to used ERO, Holco etc. Caused it speaks of designed in conjunction with KRELL Digital Inc. Now, you must accept the fact. All of the capacitors, transistors and RCA jacks that I believed they are mostly have made in Taiwan. As I know the grade with them should be within US$ 3.5 to $4.0 (1000 pcs.). Cause I was a technician in the electric manufactory until I have with my own business. In present, I think the DAC-1 as garbage. It cannot against every challenger today which budget about US$ 100 range. Unless you take it to process 80’s made CD player.

If you are now want to upgrades for your audio system. I suggested you to pay US$ 100 to $200 for a new model CD or DVD player (with 24bit/96kHz or 24bit/192kHz). Even just pay $20 for the quality audio cables. You will be got more harvests certainly.

Remarks: to think about why lots of peoples were taking DAC-1 on E-Bay with short period owned.

Purchased At:   H?MAudio(Ebay)

Submitted by Gordon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Certainly, It is not a Hi-End product. It using very cheap capacitors(Toys Grade)and over half of the case inside is just space. The power supply has marked made in Taiwan, AC 230V input and DC 16V output. I used AC 215V input but it has DC 20V output. I very worry that it would burn my real Hi-End audio system. While I felt the DAC-1 and power supply is very hot as a class AB amplifer. So I cutted off of the power supply box then discovered it just has a very cheap transformer , very small 2200uF electrolytic capacitor and 4 cheap diodes. Even discovered the transformer's wire has been poor contacted. For the sounds. It just as same as a $100 range Onkyo DVD player and has nothing can be improve even I have made a very hi grade power supply to fill with. Anyway, to the actually operating 48kHz is enough. Because DVD audio and SACD's digital output still didn't for open. They are still using CD audio format(44.1kHz). And the finally sampling resource and target still within 20Hz to 20kHz. But we need to accept the chips of YAMAHA YM3623B EIAJ decorder, BB DF1700P dual 8X digital filter, BB PCM67P 18bit D/A were outdate. As same as PC 80286 cannot compare with P-4.
To remind: I have run in over 100hrs with this DAC-1.

My system:
KRELL 200, Excutive M5.
KRELL KBL, JADIS JP200(self-made).
Electro Voice Sentry 500SFV plus 1 pair of EV T-35 Alnico, 2 pairs of EMIT Cobalt, 1 pair ESS AMT tweeters, 1 pair of Klipsch horn.

Purchased At:   H?MAudio(E-Bay)

Submitted by plantto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just bought this dac online at audiogon.com and am amazed by its quality for how much it was it sounds like a million dollars i have it conneced to my SB Live! computer sound card and use it for listening to mp3s and dvds the quality is outstanding.

Purchased At:   private owner in chi

SFLAT: