Musical Fidelity X10-D DACs

3.99/5 (97 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by Kauhik Mitra a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have Quad 66 preamp and 606 power amp, Philips CD 624 CD Player, Quad 22L floor Speaker, Audio Note Dac 1. If I add with this system Musical Fedelity X10-D Buffer then it will smother my lisiting. Right now I am highly statisfy with my systems. Pls mail me at kaushik_mitra17@yahoo.com as soon as possible. Thank you.

Submitted by rotosoundz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
First off...alittle about myself.....so you can get an idea of my tastes and experienc in HiFi...

I am 53 and started my interest in HiFi at age 8 with an old motorola tube phono...that had a central woofer and detachable mid/tweeter speakers...I worked at a stereo store for 3 years and have owned numerous systems incorporating Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Harman/Kardon, Denon and finally Yamaha...Speakers were normally Altec lansing, EPI, Ultralinear, Infinity.....Cd players have been Harman/kardon HD7725....Denon DCD1529...Denon DCD838 and the NAD C 541i...wont even go into the cassette and turntables...as there ere several of each.

I purchased my Musical FidelityX10-D tube buffer about a month or so ago...also installed the upgrade kit....the difference was night and day.

A previous reviewer said a downside to the buffer was no power switch...simple solution is to put the power cord into your SWITCHED OUTLET on the back of your reciever/integrated amp.Now that we cleared that up.....I'll get on with my review.

I am currently using a NAD C541i single play CD....Yamaha AX-700 integrated amp...and a pair of Infinity Crescendo CS-3006 speakers....I have everything wired using Monster Cables. I hooked the buffer inline between the CD player and amp.

The maker of the mod kit suggested waiting at least 100 hours of playing time before giving this buffer a fair listen. That enables the new circuits and caps to "burn in" to the buffer. I have done that. Normally, the NAD is pristine, and the bass is tight but lacks mass. The highs tended to be very piercing and brittle....with the modified buffer....the sound is so much warmer and the bass has a very nice natural sounding depth to it...the highs are smooth and warm....very in balance with the rest of the music....the mids have a sweet definition....the imaging is very defined and detailed...without going to the extreme of being crisp.....Now I removed the buffer...just out of curiosity....and the difference was amazing....I noticed the listener fatigue I was previously used to and accepted as the nature of the beast. With the buffer, listener fatigue is gone....I can listen to my system for hours on end and never grow weary. Naturally, your better recordings will sound fuller....as they would even without the buffer....Is th mod kit worth the $90???? Most definitely....the kit is to the buffer...what the buffer is to your system WITHOUT the buffer...it makes that big a difference....

My system is far from the super systems I have seen and read about in various reviews.....but it more than meets my needs and sounds excellent to my ears..My listening area isn't huge...so large speakers and a massive amp aren't a requirement.

In summary....I would say...if you have a CD player and you invested maybe $500.00 in it new....you could run out and spend $2000.00 for a new state of the art player....complete with tube output stages to warm up that digital output....but you can achieve the similar effect by snagging a tube buffer along with the mod kit for a fraction of the cost. Get your soldering gun and electrical skills warmed up and do the mod yourself....You'll be very pleased with the results.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by DavidKennaway a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have been into Hi-Fi for years moving from great analogue systems to poor CD sounding systems with all ther clarity but metalic sound. My current system is a Musical Fidelity CD1 palyer, Musical Fidelity A100 class A amplifier, Musical Fidelity MC2 speakers (Bi wired) and a Sony 100 active sub. The overall sound was detailed but glassy and I was looking for that elusive analogue sound without the narrow range and detailed and without noise. So far an expensive 10 year experience. Looking in Hi-Fi mags I was interested in a valve option to change the sound. I brought a X10-D on Ebay with the hope it would turn my Hi-Fi into my dreams. When I connected it between the CD and amplifier I expected to hear a subtle difference. I was blown away, the change in sound was astonishing. The detail remained but the vocals were beautiful and the sound stage improved beyond dreams. Listening to Katie Melua, like I am at this moment the vocal is so sexy and the air around the stringed bass is fantastic. This is like being in a smoky night club and she is on stage in front of you. This is the sound I have been looking for, it is beautiful. It works the same for classical and rock. At this moment I am listening to 'Ten Million Bicycles' and it is so real she is in the room with me. I will never part with this device. Buy one and you will never know how you listened without it. Half way up the Hindu Kush is now on and it is the best HiFi I have listened to!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Discriminator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this tweak in hopes of improving the sound of my system (obviously). I tried it in three applications: my primary CD player, and hHB CDR-800; between the passive preamp and amplifier sections of my Acurus DIA-100 Mark II, and on the output of a cheap 5-disk changer primarily used as a digital out to feed the hHB Pro recorder, a Sony SCD-CE595. I listened to several CDs in each application and repeated the test on three different days.

When using the X10 v3 with my hHb, I noticed a significant degradation in sound quality. There was a certain artificial smoothness to the sound but the detail was obscured or missing. Music was not as compelling and it no longer sounded as if the artist might be in the room. It was not easy to tolerate for long.

When inserted after my passive preamp section, the X10 v3 imparted a somewhat tube-like sound which some people might find pleasing. When listening to recordings of live acoustic performers whom I have seen and heard dozens of times, however, it was clear to me that the sound was distorted. It simply was not as accurate and true-to-life. It lacked in high end clarity and the bass was muddied. Attacks and decays were not natural. At best the X10 could be viewed as artificial sweetener. All in all the sound fidelity was not as good as it was without the X10.

With the cheap Sony CD player, however, I did notice a significant improvement. The X10 is transformative in this application, but the sound is not in the same league as the hHB.

To summarize, the X10 significantly degraded the sound of my high quality CD player, somewhat degraded the sound of my preamp/amp, and removed some of the harshness of a very cheap CD player. My recommendation would be to save your money towards a good CD player. Even a mid-level Denon would probably sound much better than a cheap CD player combined with the X10. It's also annoying to me that they didn't provide a decent power supply for it and they expect you to go out and buy that, too. I am not impressed with Musical Fidelity as a company based on this experience. Your mileage may vary!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by afan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had a Denon 2910 and was tryig tell myself the Video part is good enough to keep the DVD player. My friend broght me this little tweak. To my amaze, It make the music live. The fidelity comes out. I then hook up a cheap JVC DVD player. It does the same magic. For those who wonders a expense DVD player can do, this is a very inexpensive way to improve most system around 2-3K. Even wonder why tube amplifier is still a main steam of audio world, this little guy is the prove. My wife ran into the family room. She heard the rain drops and thought it was raining.

Purchased At:   0