Home | Reviews | DACs | Entec

Entec Number Cruncher 1.1 DACs

DAC

Submitted by steakster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
My Entec 1.1 has been upgraded to a 2.1 by Bob Crump (TG Audio). My comments concur with the previous post - only the shortcomings that were mentioned are now gone with the new mods. The sound is stunning. Despite its' age, this dac still competes with the best out there - upsampling, oversampling or whatever. You'll be lucky if you ever see one for sale.

Submitted by John Brock a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
I was one of the "it souds pretty good..but it ain't analog" kind of guys. I had a Theta Gen III and it sounded good, but not really like "MUSIC". The Entec Number Cruncher changed all that. I mostly listen to accoustic and vocal music so the midrange is of paramount importance. The number Cruncher is sweet but not overly so. I would not call the presentation forward or laidback, I'd call it just right. If I had to label it I'd say it has a warm full sound. The top end is not as bright as some of the very best DACs, but it is close enough and I would put the bottom end in the same catagory. I cannot recommend this unit strongly enough if the midrange is where you spend most of your listining time.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile