Electronic Visionary Systems Millennium DAC 1 DACs

High-end D to A converter; 24/96 capable.

Submitted by nurxhunter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
Long and short. Compared to the Cal ALpha 18 and even 24/96--when these have Russian or Chinese tubes--the M1b wins in every regard. With the right NOS tubes (see my review of Cal Alpha), the Cals edge this out slightly in my opinion--but only slightly. In fact, the EVS M1b has better bass. I am so impressed that a SS piece at this price can have such fine mids and glare free highs. The high cut-off switch is great to tame bright speakers or with headphones.

Long and short--kudos to RS. Amazing for the money.

Purchased At:   Agon

Submitted by Mark B. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit totally on the word of all the faithful reviewers. I had earlier read all the praises on the Rega Planet and thought that it would take an expensive DAC (over $1,500) to really surpass this unit but was I ever wrong.

Now that has been some 8 months after receiving the unit (being one of the last to get the 1B), I thought that if I am still so impressed with this unit, I should give Ric Shulz the credit he really deserves.

The vocals & instruments sound more natural and there is a more noticable imaging with even added soundstage. The CDs are much more musical and the CD harshness seems gone. I agree with the earlier reviews and have not been noticing any shortcomings of this fine DAC. Ric's digital cable was a great addition as well.

Ric, please try (if you can) to keep the DAC II upgrade price worthwhile to the faithful people who already own the DAC I. Otherwise, there may be a glut of the DAC I's for sale (as many owners will just sell their I to buy a completely new unit) and the mainstream listeners might think less of your great product. I may probably upgrade my unit even though it will take a lot for me to be any happier than with the DAC Ib that I still enjoy.

The biggest statement that I can make is that I find myself listening to my system a lot more to which I offer you Ric, my sincere thanks.

My other components:
Morrison ELAD preamplifier (This is also as great as its reviews)
conrad johnson MF 2200 amplifier
Rega Planet (used as transport only)
EVS Millennium DAC 1b (also use the EVS digital cable)
Thiel CS2 2 speakers
Velodyne ULD 15 subwoofer
Harmonic Technologies Truth Link interconnects
Tara Labs Master Generation II speaker cables
Chang 6400 ISO Litespeed power conditioner for the front end
Stealth FAC power cord for DAC
Cableplex power cord for preamp (very nice cord)

Submitted by John M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Check out this one...

Purchased At:   On line at ricks

Submitted by Matthew G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
After my wife forced me to part with my CAL cd-player, I purchased a Sony CDP-88ES cd jukebox to hold all 200 discs. Brrrrrr... The sound was cold and harsh. The Sony only had optical/toslink outputs, so I added a Monarchy DIP mk.II, and DH Labs aes/ebu cable from the DIP to the EVS DAC-1b balanced input. Out of the box, I was enthralled with the EVS/Monarchy combo. The sound, while adding great detail to the entire frequency range, still got warmer and less "grainy". Cymbals sounded like cymbals, not hiss, and bass lost its "boom" without losing impact. I especially liked the delivery of female voices (try Kendra Shank's "Afterglow" from Mapleshade) and acoustic guitar. My speakers receded and the soundstage grew. All this after just 4-6 hours of listening. Ric from EVS told me that mine was the last DAC-1b produced, now being replaced by his new upsampling DAC. If he can keep this level of performance/price, he should be enshrined. A truly unbelievable product. Now if I can get a real cd transport...

Associated equipment:

Lexicon DC-1 v.4 pre/pro (synergistic research interconn.)
ADA PTM-6150 amplifier (Kimber Kable hero interconn.)
Analysis Plus Oval-9 speaker cables (another great value)
M&K S-125 l/c/r speakers and M&K MX-125 mk.II sub
Synergistic power cords, vibrapods, blu-tak, etc..

Submitted by Matthew G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Associated equipment:

Lexicon DC-1 v.4 pre/pro (synergistic research interconn.)
ADA PTM-6150 amplifier (Kimber Kable hero interconn.)
Analysis Plus Oval-9 speaker cables (another great value)
M&K S-125 l/c/r speakers and M&K MX-125 mk.II sub
Synergistic power cords, vibrapods, blu-tak, etc..

BLG CP024: