Camelot Technology Dragon 5.1 DACs

CD Jitter Filter

Submitted by drlazybones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
In one word: incredible. If you don't think jitter in the digital signal is a problem, you will have a revelation with the Dragon 5.1. The device seems to "focus" an unfocused sound stage. The most dramatic differences can be heard throughout the bass and lower midrange regions, where all sense of bloom or boominess have been purged. The lower frequencies now carry musical information! One result of this new resolution is that the rest of the sound can be heard like never before - last night I heard sonic details for the first time in music I've listened to many times over. But it doesn't stop there. The midrange and highs both benefit from this new "focus" as well, with a resulting separation between voices and instruments, and at the same time an impressive widening of the sound stage. My favorite musical transformation was on a Bach CD, where a sibilant and flat violin suddenly had.... TIMBRE! The whole "digital" character of the music is changed. The most incredible overall effect, apart from the soundstage, is the way the lows, mids, and highs are knit back together into a whole. I can't describe it any other way. The music is so much easier to listen to, the presentation is like a whole, more natural, much more like the recording originally sounded, I'm sure. On the Black Eyed Peas' Elephunk - I heard synthesizer effects - whole regions of music that I've never heard! Amazing. The investment I made in the Dragon is some of the best money I've spent on my system, period.

Purchased At:   Audiogon auction

Submitted by bob prestash a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Even though I consider my system border line high-end,I wanted to try something that might put the sound into the high-end in movie and music....I was not dissapointed..This jitter reduction and surround sound enhancer just made everything more transparent and alive..Dialog in DVD mode was crisp and enveloping..Music DTS discs,as well as standard CD playback was cleaned up and smoothed out in a way that even a non-audiophile would appreciate...This is a great upgrade to any system,and ceartainly worth a try considering the 30 day trial period.....This is one component that will take a system and bring it up several notches into the high-end arena....Say what you will about jitter(believe in it or not),I however hear what a difference this unit can make on what I thought was high-quality digital audio-video system allready...I still think my setup is great.....But..It just got better........

Purchased At:   audioadvisor.com

Submitted by MP a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
When inserted between my Pioneer Elite PD59 CD player/transport and Yamaha AV receiver, experienced a remarkable improvement in overall sound quality. The most noticeable improvement was in the midrange, which enjoyed an increased articulation slightly more forward presentation, which I instantly preferred. Soundstage width was enhanced in 2-channel stereo, while the depth of the soundstage was also enhanced, but less so. When used in digital series with Pioneer Elite DV-05, the improvement was less apparent (makes sense as the 05 probably has a far less jittered output than the 59). Overall, an outstanding product. While not cheap, I've certainly spent more for less. Recommended. A certain 5 stars for overall performance, while 4+ when price considered.

Purchased At:   Audio advisor

Submitted by Paul Bui a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Camelot Dragon 5.1 is quite different from Meridian 518.
With the 518 the sound is glossy, bass is tight, and overall music presentation is more transparent, more detailed. The 5.1 on the other hand makes everything more analog, more texture, less hi-fi, less analytical. Everything seems more listenable with the 5.1 while the 518 is quite impressive with revealing details and high resolution.

Ultimately I prefer the 5.1, but I can imagine someone else with different priority will like the 518 instead. If I'd use the 518, I'd put it in the digital chain, after the 5.1.
By the way, the 5.1 is 1/4 price of the 518. Would be interesting to compare the 5.1 with the new Monarchy DIP II.

Submitted by Paul Bui a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
The minute I plugged it in between my DVD-525 and AVR-5700, I was hooked to its immediate wider, deeper sound stage, a more detailed overall music presentation.

I am very satisfied with this little box.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor