Home | Reviews | DACs | Adcom

4.75/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

D/A Processor

Submitted by chillysalsa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've been using this unit to improve the sound of my Yamaha 5-disc changer. The DAC in it isn't that bad to begin with, but the Adcom definitely makes some noticable improvements. Yet, with my 'mid-fi' system (Yamaha RX-596 Reciever, PSB 2B speakers), I wouldn't call it *dramatic* change. It does do some great things though:

First off, vocals have been brought to the forefront, and are not as drown out by accompanying instruments. The bass in sub-30Hz region is actually THERE for once, which seems to contribute to increasing the size of the soundstage. Percussion like snares seem to have longer decay and sharper attack. Some sounds even have a mild reverb added to them, which I never noticed before. A sonic veil seems to have been lifted from every recording.

I'm using it connected through a Toslink>AudioAlchemy DTI>Apogee WydeEye RCA>GDA-600.

In short, if I were without the DAC, I don't think I would pay 'full' price for a new one, considering the amount of improvements it gives (it's maybe held back by my other components?), but the improvement is definitely appreciated. I've grown to like the sound so much, I don't want to part with it.

Purchased At:   Online Auction

Submitted by Tone Sisk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this at least 4 years ago and it served me well over the years. It was used with mainly a Sony XA3ES cd player.
But Ive since upgraded to an
Arcam Alpha 8SE cd player and the digital to analog converter in it sounds unbelievable! If youve got the time audition an Arcam cd player today.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys!

Submitted by Truc N. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not very sure for the year model.
This is a very good sounding DAC with detail high, punching bass and a lush soundstage. I am using it thru the balanced input (the other input availabe are : 1 Toslink and 2 RCAs).
This is not a 24/96 DAC and not HDCD capable.

I really like this DAC. It can't be beaten for the price.

Purchased At:   tfta.com

Submitted by Jack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great sounding unit. The build quality is fantastic (especially compared with the MSB). I'm using both the TOSLink and the Coaxial. It has really improved the sound of my Sony CD/DVD player. It has also made my AudioTron actually sound GREAT!!

The highs are really wonderful, I can hear cymbals roll off beautifully (whether it's a symphony or Led Zeppelin).

If you can find one, grab it!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Stan Ferrer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Bottom Line:

Perhaps this review is premature, but after what I have been hearing I just can't be quite about this gem. Now I don't even pretend to have been the owner of any of the ubiquitous multi-kilo-buck-esoteric-mine-is-way-better-than-yours high end equipment. However, I have had several opportunities to listen/audition and in my humble yet frank opinion I have yet to be thoroughly impressed by any of it. Allow me to use this analogy, a lot of expensive gear are like most really gorgeous women lots of sex appeal, but very little in the way of substance. With my soap box placed aside let me tell what I think about the GDA 600 from ADCOM.

I purchased the GDA 600, largely based on the testimony here on this site and because it could be had for close to nothing. Look I am not hard to please, if any gear sounds good enough to make me tap my feet I'm a believer. I am not into the dissection of what I am hearing I want to be swept away while having a good time enjoying recorded music. The GDA 600 accomplishes the aforementioned in spades! This DAC made my speakers disappear allowing listening to CD's to be revelatory and at the same time fun. This DAC is musical not analytical. This is not to say that the GDA 600 doesn't offer up the details, because it does it just doesn't sacrifice it's melodic renderings during the process. The sound is very none fatiguing and boy what it's does for the stand up bass (flesh on strings)--Mingus has never sounded sooo good! On Tony Williams, Live from Tokyo, I could swear I felt the air around the top hats hit me in the face oh so warm and gentle.

In closing, I am sure there is a better DAC out there somewhere, if you've heard it than you are a truly a lucky man/woman/child.

Thanks for the read.