Pioneer PDR-W739 CD Recorders/Players

3.46/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $725.00

CD Recorder

Submitted by Kevin Whelan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
Pioneer PDR W739 cd recorder
I have most of the reviews on here and here is mine. This machine is fantastic. I have never been one for Pioneers products. I've got Meridians, Micro Megas, Mission, Teac and Tascam CD players. I also own a Marantz cd recorder. Well first of all this machine is far better than the Marrantz. The sound quality is certainly on par if not better at times than my meridian with its seperate digital to analogue converter. I think it is the warmest, most analogue like sound I have ever heard from a digital machine, it is almost as warm as vinyl.
Using the unit. As one reviewer stated on here. READ THE MANUAL BEFORE USE
If you don't have a copy then go online it is very easy to find. I am usually quite good with hi fi items but must admit this one caught me out. The buttons double up for other functions. I didn't read the instructions and could not get it to record in X1 speed as opposed to x2 but followed the manual exactly as it said and "Hey Presto" a result.
Recordings are fantastic. Mine are mainly copies to use in the car so I don't damage the originals. I can honestly say that once mastered the unit gives wonderful copies.
Regards the build quality. Well I haven't had this from new, I paid fifty pounds for it from Cash Convertors. It had a thirty day guarantee so I took the gamble. Yes it does have a "Plasticy" feel the the triple tray mechanism, it does clunk between CDs when changing from tray 1, 2, or 3. But put that aside. Would it be better to have a unit that was built like a Rolls Royce but sounded rubbish?
So, in my opinion this is one hell of a CD player and one hell of a cd recorder. I really don't have a bad word to say against it. I am not sure of the original selling price, I did read online they were nearly $800.00 in the states when they were first released. Well over the years I have spent over £800.00 on one CD player and it did not sound as good as this.
From this purchase I am truly a fan of Pioneer hi fi
If you see on of these for sale and it all works..... Then buy it.

Kev Whelan

Submitted by Thomas Mc Nulty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought this model in late 2000 as my first CD burner. It's been such a good workhorse, i haven't even dreamt of replacing it yet. Paid for the store's extended warranty - a useless waste of money, as it hasn't even threatened to go wrong! Yes, the changer mechanism can be tempremental once in a blue moon, but a litt;e patience corrects it. I have owned it 10 years now and have easily burned several thousand discs for family friends etc and it is as reliable now as it was then I find it very easy to use. The sound quality is excellent both from original cds,copies even second generation. I sometime use it to listen to cds, though I primarily use it as a burner or transfering tape to cd which is straightforward operation also. For me the machine's overall reliability and sound are flawless and second to none even for more expensive machines (£299 late 2000) I would have no heaitation in buying the same product again and would certainly recommend it.

Submitted by William Harper Jr. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
This burner is th ebest burner I have ever peurchased. As a electronics salesman, I can say, it is the best one put out.

Purchased At:   Furniture Fair of Ki

Submitted by Brian Miklas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
After some research I purchased this unit, only afterward I really disliked the whole idea of changing trays instead of a platter. both use mechanical mechanisms and are subject to breaking. I've brought it in for repair 2 times already, and I am SO glad I bought the store's extended service warranty for 3 years, as I knew with the amount I use and create mix cds/tapes it would break anyway. unfortunately I no longer even attempt to use the top platter, so it won't get stuck and cause problems, as it has started to again. Oh well, Pioneer still makes good products, I had a 6 disc magazine changer for 9 years with no problems until the last year. I used that thing for hours on end almost daily. I only wish they still made those magazine changer style CD Players with digital outputs....

Purchased At:   Nobody Beats the Wiz

Submitted by paul drake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I would love to give this CD Recorder/dubber great marks for it's ease of use, loads of digital and analog connections, great display, nice remote and sharp looks. I would like to give the whole unit great marks. But I cannot.

I have already returned one of these to Tweeter and would like to return this one for a totally different model, but I think my warranty may be up. Just like the first deck, the vertical cd stacker tray is malfunctioning and will not quit trying to open, then closing before it can fully open. This drawer design looks like it is made of cheap plastic gears and has always been very loud. At least this time one of my cd's isn't stuck inside.
I was originally going to buy the Phillips CD Dubbing deck, but I let the salesman show me the Pioneer instaed. It looked much nicer and seemed to have better build quality. I should have stuck with the single disk Pioneer design, but I thought I could also use it as a changer. Slow loading time soon changed that plan. After about a year my first deck got stuck with one of my discs inside. I returned it for another deck, but here we are a year later and I think my warranty has just expired. This is not the type of product I have come to expect from Pioneer, as I have used many of their other products in the past, including two great turntables. I was seriously considering their Pioneer DV-47 Elite DVD Player, as it is one of few that plays SACD and DVD Audio, but if I am unable to get this deck fixed or replaced, I think I'll wait on another manufacturer. I guess I'll go back to buying Sony products, as I have never had build quality issues with their products.

Purchased At:   Tweeter