Pioneer PDR-W739 CD Recorders/Players

3.39/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $725.00

CD Recorder

Submitted by Thomas Mc Nulty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought this model in late 2000 as my first CD burner. It's been such a good workhorse, i haven't even dreamt of replacing it yet. Paid for the store's extended warranty - a useless waste of money, as it hasn't even threatened to go wrong! Yes, the changer mechanism can be tempremental once in a blue moon, but a litt;e patience corrects it. I have owned it 10 years now and have easily burned several thousand discs for family friends etc and it is as reliable now as it was then I find it very easy to use. The sound quality is excellent both from original cds,copies even second generation. I sometime use it to listen to cds, though I primarily use it as a burner or transfering tape to cd which is straightforward operation also. For me the machine's overall reliability and sound are flawless and second to none even for more expensive machines (£299 late 2000) I would have no heaitation in buying the same product again and would certainly recommend it.

Submitted by William Harper Jr. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
This burner is th ebest burner I have ever peurchased. As a electronics salesman, I can say, it is the best one put out.

Purchased At:   Furniture Fair of Ki

Submitted by Brian Miklas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
After some research I purchased this unit, only afterward I really disliked the whole idea of changing trays instead of a platter. both use mechanical mechanisms and are subject to breaking. I've brought it in for repair 2 times already, and I am SO glad I bought the store's extended service warranty for 3 years, as I knew with the amount I use and create mix cds/tapes it would break anyway. unfortunately I no longer even attempt to use the top platter, so it won't get stuck and cause problems, as it has started to again. Oh well, Pioneer still makes good products, I had a 6 disc magazine changer for 9 years with no problems until the last year. I used that thing for hours on end almost daily. I only wish they still made those magazine changer style CD Players with digital outputs....

Purchased At:   Nobody Beats the Wiz

Submitted by paul drake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I would love to give this CD Recorder/dubber great marks for it's ease of use, loads of digital and analog connections, great display, nice remote and sharp looks. I would like to give the whole unit great marks. But I cannot.

I have already returned one of these to Tweeter and would like to return this one for a totally different model, but I think my warranty may be up. Just like the first deck, the vertical cd stacker tray is malfunctioning and will not quit trying to open, then closing before it can fully open. This drawer design looks like it is made of cheap plastic gears and has always been very loud. At least this time one of my cd's isn't stuck inside.
I was originally going to buy the Phillips CD Dubbing deck, but I let the salesman show me the Pioneer instaed. It looked much nicer and seemed to have better build quality. I should have stuck with the single disk Pioneer design, but I thought I could also use it as a changer. Slow loading time soon changed that plan. After about a year my first deck got stuck with one of my discs inside. I returned it for another deck, but here we are a year later and I think my warranty has just expired. This is not the type of product I have come to expect from Pioneer, as I have used many of their other products in the past, including two great turntables. I was seriously considering their Pioneer DV-47 Elite DVD Player, as it is one of few that plays SACD and DVD Audio, but if I am unable to get this deck fixed or replaced, I think I'll wait on another manufacturer. I guess I'll go back to buying Sony products, as I have never had build quality issues with their products.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Dale White a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had been looking for a CD-Recorder for years. I collect some rare CDs. Needless to say, I really needed a recorder to copy my valuable collection, make some discs from other sources (LPs, cassettes and the like) and maybe do a few trades for those rare discs that are at times too rare and expensive.

So, I set about getting a PC CD-Recorder. When I got one, I had never been so frustrated in my life at how many CD-Rs they ruined, and the amount of pops and skips in them.

Hence, I went all out shopping for a consumer, stand-alone recorder last December. After a good deal of looking, I finally found this Pioneer model at YourInsider.com for a nice price (about the same price as some used ones at Sears). I got it without hesitation.

First off, I really love the connections. Coaxial input and output, optical input and output, and analog input and output. Every kind you want or need for home use, as I have a Sony MiniDisc Deck with an optical input, and a GPX DVD/CD player with a coaxial output. Plus, I just got a new Aiwa 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround system too, so the outputs will come in handy for that baby as well.

Then, the sound. FLAWLESS copies. Perfection in my mind. Sounds great on my older Teac Dolby Pro-Logic Surround system (upgrade to 5.1 is coming soon), and even better with headphones. Much better copies than a PC recorder, as not one skip or pop has been produced on a CD-R from this thing yet, and I've made several dozen of them by now. The only mistakes are from a source CD having a skip in it, but that isn't the machine's fault, the defect was on the CD.

The volume control is easy to use with a great and easy to follow indicator as well. Analog AND digital volume control, which I love. My MD deck had no digital volume control, only analog, so I love that.

You can record from a programmed list when recording from the 3 CD changer (up to 30 selections from any of the discs), and you can make SEAMLESS track separations anywhere WHILE recording from an outside source (handy for recording LPs, Cassettes, cutting up long song, or DVD isolated scores) so you don't have to pause or stop the disc and put a second-long skip between the tracks. You can make a Skip ID (in case you make a mistake or change your mind about a recorded track), which some CD players can read. There is also a synchro record feature, but I haven't used that feature yet, I don't really need it. But it's there if I do.

It is easy to use, has the same basic functions as most CD players or MD recorders, and I learned all of the features quickly, most were easy enough to find out by myself, and a few just needed a quick read of the manual.

It also can read incomplete/unfinalized discs, and read and record CD-RWs as well. It can't record data CD-Rs, but no home audio ones can, so that really isn't a negative. Headphone jack and volume control is always a plus as well, but not a need.

Perhaps the only negative was that the machine has to read each CD bin every time you turn the machine on, and every time you close the door. That's not so bad though, except when you close the door without a CD, and it takes the same amount of time to read as if there was a disc in there. The 3 CD changer sounds a little slow and clanky, but it has worked great so far, so I have no real problems with the system. It records at 1x and 2x speed, which is slow in PC CD-Recording terms, but I'll take a slow copy ANY DAY, as long as the copy comes out flawless, like this one does.

You can make a digital copy from any original, pressed CD, or a PC CD-R, but you can't make a digital copy FROM a digital copy that these machines make. It will still make a near perfect analog copy from a digital copy, this isn't really a problem anyway. Plus, since most stand alone recorders I believe are like that, there no real negative in this either. All in all, this is a great piece to a modern home entertainment puzzle.

Purchased At:   YourInsider.com