Philips CDR880 CD Recorders/Players

3.69/5 (13 Reviews)

Home Compact Disc Recorder

Submitted by Dave Parish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Got a good deal even though I had reservations about the Phillips brand. I was right. Many recordings are flawless, and when it works, it works well. What they don't tell you anywhere is that many brands of CDR "may be incompatible" with their unit, and there is no way to tell until after the recording is done and finalized - at which point it may truncate the recording, or even finalize the disc with 2-3 seconds of data. P-M recommended specific brands of CDRs finally, but offered no recourse for the 130 or so CDRs I have left from the brands that don't work. Next time, I will buy ANY other brand first.

Purchased At:   Sam's auction

Submitted by Dave Parish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Purchased At:   Sam's auction

Submitted by Stanley Summer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used this unit for about 6-10 sessions then it started locking up.
It would start recording,then the volume, tracks and all the buttons would lock up [freeze]. I would have to power it off [unplug] to remove the CD or stop the player. The unit was later reconditioned by Philips but has the same problem. I should have stuck with the CDR765.

Purchased At:   J&R Music

Submitted by Michael G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
A very good unit for recording own CDs from digital and analog sources. It is very easy to use, like a cassette deck. You can compile your own CDs easily, even from digital and analog sources on the same CD, and until the CD is not finalized yet you can also add tracks in later "sessions". But sometimes you have to discard CD-R's when you have made a mistake (for example you recorded the wrong source, or when you backup an old vinyl record and the needle skips, or when the telephone/doorbell rings you cannot always stop the recording process immediately). After this happened a few times, I now use CD-RW's when I copy "unknown" analog sources and edit those recordings with my PC, where I burn the "final" CD. But in general, you don't need to use computer CD-R's on this unit any more, because audio CD-R's are much less expensive than they were in the late 90s. This Philips CD-R recorder now has completely replaced my cassette decks for recording purposes. My old cassettes often do sound dull or play too slowly - my CD-R's will have a very much longer lifetime with the same sound quality as when they were new.

Submitted by Fernando Macario a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great as a CD-recorder, I can´t tell the difference between original and copy. This is what is needed for a recorder! Not perfect as a player but who cares?? For that we have the cd player as source. It mantains the HDCD signal!!

System:
Arcam DV88 (Note: it doesn´t send time flags in digital signal!!)
Marantz 72SE cd player