Philips CDR870 CD Recorders/Players

3.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by FranDid a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Bottom Line:
I own this recorder for 15 years at least and it still works very well. Recording is almost perfect.
High quality recording preamp. No noise no interference at all.
Very good dynamic range.
Concerning palyback it has a good sound but not among the best players, it is a bit too cold and too analytic.
Very beautiful to see, good display but uinfortunately no CD Text !
Very reliable.
In France iIt was 3 times more expensive than a CDR 600 so if you find one second hand and don't need CD text do not hesitate !
Strength : Very good recorder and nice looking.
Weakness : No CD text, sounds a bit too cold.

Submitted by Arthur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Unlike computer-based burners this drives directly from the analogue output of my Seck mixer and I then have a digital master I can edit in Coolpro. No real problems but bulk purchase CDR audio blanks are not too reliable. Successfully mastered a 1000-press charity CD last year.

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Patrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Follow-up: I took this unit to Philips Service Center here in Houston. They want an exorbitant non-refundable $165 deposit. If there is a screw missing or a small part ajar, it will still cost $165. I declined to repair this unit, and would rather put the $165 into a new SONY or PIONEER CDR. No sense in sinking alot of money to fix old technology, with no guarantees that the problem will be fixed. This will be the last Philips unit I ever purchase.

Submitted by Patrick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for a few years; it was a gift. It records and plays back fine...until you try to use the disc in a Sony or Yamaha CD player, or any other for that matter. The discs play in my car, but that's about it. Won't play on my computer either. I'm using Maxell CD-R recordable compact discs. Pretty tough to share mixes with friends. I think I'm going to take it in for service or check out. Maybe Philips has an answer by now.

Submitted by Rich a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1998

Bottom Line:
5 STars! I've made plenty of CD's with this recorder, using a CD source via optical digitcal cable. What other recorder allows us to use $2.00 CDR's for recording Audio?
Beware of the auto-track button, if it's not on (indicated by a microscopic display on the face) you'll end up with one long, 74 minute track.

CSB 1206 BLK: