Philips CDR785 CD Recorders/Players

2.67/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

3 CD changer/1 CD recorder unit

Submitted by Ray Phillips a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2015

Bottom Line:
Hey Guys!~ After long searching, I found the right CD-RW for the the Philip CDR785 Recorder.
It is the TDK 1x4 write speed CD-RW. The low speed is the key. It is 80 minutes and 700 mb. Works perfectly!!! Don't throw away that 785!!!

Submitted by shamus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
So the saga continues with the Philips CDR785 and other CDR burners they build. Very flakey and unreliable when accepting blank CDR's. And to make matters worse the only disc that still seem to work in mine, you can no longer by! (1-4X audio only) Do yourself a big favor and spend the extra $150.oo and get the pro quality TEAC unit like used in recording studios, these things will burn any disc! Too bad to I really liked the quality of the converters used in the Phillips. As far as there factory service is, don't bother , mine returned in worse condition than when I sent it. Someone really needs to start a class action law suit for all the suckers that bought there junk. I will never by another Philips product, no matter how good or how cheap!!!!!!!!

Submitted by superfly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
Just as mentioned in other reviews this was my second recorder. The first wouldn't even open half the time. I have owned the second one for about a year and a half. Now it has started to shut down in the middle of recording and won't accept hardly any forms of blank cd's. If I had to do all over I would purchase a different brand. I have to say philips recorders are junk. All I can do with it is play cd's. I thought that this was the best thing since sliced bread, but upon further use I can best describe it as a nuisance and should not be in my home entertainment system. BUYER BEWARE its a roll of the dice with this one.

Purchased At:   sams club

Submitted by jojomandy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
As others have mentioned, sometimes you can open the drawer. Also periodically will record about 30 seconds than shut down. It now will not even record from another source.Piece of junk. WASTED MONEY!!!

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Chad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
This thing is junk! Ok, I've had the thing for a little over a year now and as time goes on the amount of probs I'm having with this thing are multiplying. First off, when I took it out of the box upon purchasing it, the cd drawer was crooked. My step-dad(practically a McGyver), was able to open it up and found the drawer was off of its hinges on one side. He reset the drawer.You would think that everything would be fine now, right? nope. Throughout the year that I've had it has always burned cds fine, but will automatically shut itself off if you just leave it playing a cd for more than 15 minutes or so. I think, but I'm not sure, that it goes into its "sleep mode," even though it is playing a cd. Now, just recently, it has been giving me the problems described in these other reviews. Sporatic performance, the cdr drawer not opening, having to plug and unplug the machine in order to just be able to play OR burn a cd. Please, dont buy this!

Award-Winning Axiom: