Philips CDR775 CD Recorders/Players

3.19/5 (53 Reviews)

Replacement for CDR765

Submitted by Taximart a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
This machine for me is faultless,for the last 10 years it has been used every day and never let me down,I can honestly say it the best piece of Hi-Fi I have ever had.

I paid £249 for it,records first time everytime,no faults,can't fault it.Use good quality connection leads and you'll be okay,not used the optic fibre connection yet(optic fibre?),yes, a machine 10 years old with a optic fibre connection,will be doing in the next few weeks.

Great machine,highly recommend it.

Submitted by rodforshort a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
I won mine on eBay for 50.00. Compared to two other models ( Philips CDR800 and Tascam CD-RW700) it's the best so far. The best thing about this model is it will record my DAT tapes of my vinyl and on site recordings in a mirror image. It records the track information and sound perfect. It will even record TRACK ID's without any sound. Something the Tascam cannot do.
My only complaint is the meters have no 0db mark and are very slow. And has to have Music CD media
Oh" it copy's CD's flawlesly.

Submitted by Matt Grover a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
Beware of this unit if you are in the market for a cd burner- this one's a crap shoot. I bought mine when they first came out, and the recorder would only work about 30% of the time. Since they were new at the time I thought that was just how they were. It finally crapped out all together just as the warranty was running out (literally that week) and when I finally got ahold of a Phillips customer service rep(very difficult to do) they directed me to a repair center. They replaced the optics, the mother board and some mechanical parts. When I went to pick it up I asked the repair tech why they went through all that trouble instead of just sending me a new unit and he said "That's what Phillips said to do. You wouldn't believe the trouble they are having with these things". That's the repair guy talking. He said that if the warranty had run out that the repair cost would probably be more than a new one, which was around $400 at the time. Since the repair, it works most of the time. It still gives me OPC Error and Disc Full errors from time to time, and the recorder side has a very hard time reading some brands of blanks, sometimes I have to go through 5 in a row from the same spindle to get one that works, but when it works it's great. I don't know if other brands such as Harman Kardon or Sony burners have these OPC problems, but I also have a CDR 770 (single tray version of the exact same model) that will not work at all anymore. It is a great player, but the record function is totally defunct. I have to say that Phillips customer service is almost non-existant, absolutely the WORST customer service dept. that I have ever had to deal with. They don't even know what products they still make or if service centers are still open. And that's IF you can even get them on the phone or on the internet. I think Phillips released this product before their homework was done, as it seems that the later models were more reliable. Don't pay too much for one since they are prone to failure, and make sure that the seller will take it back if it's a dud. If you are buying one from craigslist, PLUG IT IN AND TEST IT. I didn't do this with yet another one and I got burned (when will I learn). Better yet, buy a Sony or HK.

Purchased At:   Wal Mart

Submitted by mikemorrow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I got one great deal 3 years ago! Althigh I have had some of the problems that many have printed here. It is my thinking that it is the .50 CDR not the machines fault. I have recorded more than 600 Lps and have thrown out maybe 10 cdrs. Like I said it has been a great buy.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by JCI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I got this to record my LP collection. I used a mixer and audio inputs to my computer for a few recordings and decided this was too lo-fi (noise, distortion). This unit makes very good quality recordings. I have had no trouble with the unit, and have completed recording over 1000 LPs. I used FUJI Audio CDRs while I could get them, then switched to FUJI All-Purpose CDRs, both in 50 pack configurations. I had problems with one 50-pack of All-Purpose CDRs, with about 10 failures, but I think that was a problem with the CDRs as they were sticking together on the spindle. I also used Memorex CDR-Ws for the few times with great success; but note that some computer CD readers will have problems reading these (a Matsush-ta would turn sine waves into saw-tooth waves with very unpleasant results, but Yamaha and Pioneer drives both worked well). I now use this occasionally to read bad CDs that my Yamaha and Pioneer drives won't rip. I haven't tried this on any copy-protected CDs so can't vouch for its performance. Otherwise, I don't use this to copy CDs as it is too slow. But for analog recording this has been excellent.
I did not use this to insert tracks; most of my recordings were made unattended. It automatically stops recording when input volume drops (after tonearm pickup). For unattended recording I do recommend the B&O 8000 or similar turntable; it mutes signal prior to tonearm pickup and it also automatically shuts off if a stick is encountered. If I want tracks, I rip the CD-R, break tracks and edit noise on the computer, and then burn back to CD-R.

Purchased At:   BestBuy