Marantz DR-700 CD Recorders/Players

4.22/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $850.00

CD-R and RW player and recorder

Submitted by Michel VERRECKT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Simply a outstanding recorder and player.

Purchased At:   FNAC (BRUSSELS)

Submitted by Eric Teasley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Welcome to the new century ! Found this used on Ebay and so happy that I pulled the trigger on the deal. Nice player with fantastic results as a recorder. Whatever goes in, comes right back out - whether analog or digital. It doesn't seem to matter in my setup if I use the digital inputs or not. Can't hear one bit of difference. Wishing it had a bit more gain available on the analog input amplifier for transposing my vinyl collection . . .

Purchased At:   ebay (used)

Submitted by Jaap Veenstra a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've made lots of copies and I can only say one thing: Perfect quality! The coaxial input is as precise as you can wish for. I have an Arcam D 290 and a Denon DCD 1450 AR with MIT interconnects. So if any mistakes are made when recording, I should hear them. So far, no mistakes are made. If I should guess how many copies I've made so far, it should be arround 300 / 350.

The only weakness is the delay at the start of a recording. The Marantz starts after 0,5 seconds. If an original starts the playback immediately you shouldn't use the synchro option. Otherwise you'll miss 0,5 seconds of the cd.

I don't know what the other reviewer is talking about. I find the analogue input satisfying. The record volume is quite accurate. But, of course the digital input is better. I advise you to buy another cd-player with a coaxial out. Get a good coaxial interlink, (MIT, WTB), and get the best copies you could ever imagine.

Playback is as good as you can expect from a recorder in this pricerange. You can compare it to a cd player in the pricerange of 350 / 400 US $. The sound is warm and the detail is satisfying. Use good interconnects. It makes the overall sound lots better!

Jaap veenstra.

Purchased At:   Vogelzang, Holland

Submitted by Mark Perrin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I work in a busy HIFI shop in Manchester and have been given the opportunity to try many a unit in the comfort of my own home (very lucky me). I have been using this machine now and am very very impressed. Recordings are every bit as involving as the original when recorded from my Reference Sony DVPS7700 but its the playback side that really puts on a show. When i played this as a cd player for the first time i was expecting it to be crap to say the least, I've been spoilt!! What can i say but no!!!

Outstanding!!! that is when played through my ARCAM Black Box 500 DAC, it kills my sony DVPS7700 dead that is stone dead, so much so that it wettened my thirst for a new cd player. First up the soundstage was amazing and the image impressive i've never heard my system sound so good. My girlfriend agrees with every view i have on this unit, Bass is far more controlled than on my sony and detail is great.

But i wanted more... So home came the Marantz CD17KIsig and what a bag of pure junk the DR700 Killed that too i couln't believe my ears really impressed as you can tell. I have a Sony SCD777ES on its way and will report on my findings as soon as i have had the chance to test it with the DR700. By the way i have since bought the DR700 from the shop. Well chuffed..!! (but only sounds great with the DAC) a must have.

I had the back off the other day and the build quality looks crap but who cares at this price it seems to sound great. Buy two for when this one breaks down.

Submitted by Alexandre Vieira a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
Utilizo o DR-700 como CD Player, além de gravador, em conjunto com uma dupla de Pre/Power Nakamichi CA-7A/PA-7AII & Caixa Apogee Acoustics, todas as ligações com cabos van den Hul. Ele é um ótimo CD Player & como gravador faz "Clones" perfeitos dos CD originais. Eu uso CD para computador no lugar dos CR-R for music, pois há um jeitinho de faze-lo aceitar estas mídias...
Altamente recomendado tanto como CD Player como Gravador!
Meu tel. é: (24) 243-5171 em Petrópolis