Marantz CDR631 CD Recorders/Players

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

With a power feature set and a fully professional design, the CDR631 is Marantz professional's next-generation CD recorder. It offers all fthe features and functions you've come to expect from a Marantz professional deck, such as: a rugged rackmount design, reliable operation, flexibility, an a rich assortment of input/output for connecting to other analog and digital gear.

CD-text generation, create and edit track and disc titles with simple input controls. These titles are saved as CD-text that can be viewed on CD players and recorders that support the CD-text format.

Accepts multiple disc formats, the CDR631 accepts CD-R and CD-RW discs, including 1X-speed discs for computer use. This wider choice in media offers greater flexibility and additional cost savings.

Record level and balance control, the CDR631 offers both digial and analog record level and balance controls. This lets you easily control any input source.

Selectable copy protection, bypass SCMS copy protection when duplicating a disc. Or set your own copy protection at the level you decide.

Track protection, a memory buffer and DSP controlled system ensures exact copying of source CDs, dat, and mini discs.

Professional input, includes an AES/EBU digital input, balanced analog inputs with trim adjustment, unbalanced analog inputs, and coaxial and optical digital inputs.

Submitted by stevenakamichi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I love the versatility of this thing. Selctable SCMS, digital AES/EBU, co-ax, optical inputs.

I sometimes use it for a CD source using its digital co-ax output (yes, it does have one) into Audio alchemy Pro33DTI/DDE V3.0 HDCD D/A or into a lexicon DC-1 4.0 digital controller.

Using my DBX 386 tube pre-amp with their typeIV A/D conversion, one can make great copies of tapes, vinyl etc. Sometimes these even sound better then pre-recordes CD's!!

Purchased At:   guitar center

Submitted by Kent Sy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Without a doubt this is the best "pro" digital recording system anybody
can own, with features like: SCMS manipulation (selectable), record on
"pro" (computer type) and consumer type discs, and much more, etc....
The recording and playback are beyond my expectations. I bought this
unit mainly for archiving my "out of print" vinyl collection. Its response is
very quick when the record button is activated (which is very important
for those of you who knows what I mean when it comes to perfect vinyl
archiving). The large digital/analog level/function dial on the right works
just like a professional mixing board, which fades in and out with perfect timing.
This is a bigger plus over the new CDR500 (dual well), because if you
want to do perfect discriminating recordings, you will need the level
select dial. I currently run a coax out from my Pioneer PDR555RW to
clone pure digital extras. All I can say is: why spend $600.00 or more
for a high end consumer deck (NAD) when you can get a pro unit like
this...and the Playback and Recording results far exceeded my
expectations...A true winner!!!

Purchased At:   American Digital

Submitted by Response a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wanted to transfer many of my vinyl recordings to CD. Didn't like the idea of computer programs designed for this purpose so I decided to go with a CD recorder. After many hours of reading reviews of "consumer" models, I decided on the Studio Marantz model.
This machine does it all. I won't go too far in depth as you can read most of the details of it's capabilities in the Specifications above.
The 631 is very user friendly, extreamly easy to use and can substitute as your main player in your system if need be. I haven't done any playback comparisons as of yet because I have another player in my main system.
Quality of recorded CD is perfect. recordings maintain all the inner detail, resolution, depth, etc. of the original source. My setup consist of unballanced RCA connection through the tape out of my Jolida tube preamp.
Time will tell on the reliability of this unit as it is too new at this point. For now it gets 5 stars as I believ it is 'amoung' the best in component CD recorders.

Purchased At:   Parts Express