Denon CDR W1500 CD Recorders/Players

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

The CDR-W1500 is a CD + CD-R/CD-RW recorder with separate CD and CD-R/CD-RW drives in a single unit to provide you with a variety of recording and playback options for CDs and recordable CD-R and CD-RW discs. Recording is possible not only from CDs but from externally connected analog sources as well. The CDR-W1500 offers the convenient Scan Rec Dubbing function that lets you scan for the tracks you want before you record them. Playback features include Dual Play, for independent playback from the CD and CD-R/CD-RW drives, as well as a wealth of recording/playback combinations that take advantage of the two independent drives.

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
Strengths:
Very practical, many useful features
Amazingly good sound for the price. Just for 'fun', I compared it to my excellent Sony TC-KA5400ES SACD player that cost three times more. The Denon's sound was different, but not ridicule at all. It was even as good/better in terms of dynamic!

Weaknesses:
Internal build / parts quality typical (low) of mass production for the large public. But it is normal for the price.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by gottamax a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
My first CD recorder. So far I have found it to be much easier to use than I was thinking that it would be. This unit has lots of "extras" that I wasn't really looking for when I decided to buy a CD recorder. However the basic recording that I wanted to do(albums mostly)is very easy and user friendly. The sound of the recorded disc is exactly the same as listening to the source(albums). I am very happy with the performance of this unit!

Purchased At:   HypAudio

Submitted by Tranny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit "open box" from Tweeter for $350 and received a flawless unit. The build quality is excellent and much nicer than any of the Sony machines. Forget about the new Sony 5 cd changers with CDR. Big problems.

Nice unit to use and makes superb recordings from my Denon Pro DAT. Onboard Analog Devices DAC's are good but not as good as my Burr Brown equipped Adcom 1000 DAC. Plenty of dig outputs and separate connectors for each drive, both coax and toslink. Separate analog outputs for each drive. It is very similar to the pro unit.

System-
Transparent Cabling

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by jim39 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
after a complete disaster with a phillips unit. i have nothing but praise for the denon. it sounds exelent, even when copying less than perfect albums. just a great unit does everything just as its suposed to . no suprizes.

Purchased At:   ecost

Submitted by Greatdane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
After using 2 other(cheaper) CD recorders, I found this CDR to be well worth the price.

While saving the money for this CDR, I auditioned (in home ) 2 other CDR's, just to justify my desire to spend this much on a CDR.

Those were the Philips 778, and Sony W1.

First was the Philips($250)...what a joke!
The Sony($350) was not bad, but I had decided it would be the Denon.

So far( after 3 months), I have not had a single problem with it, and it has worked flawlessly.

It's loaded with features, one of which is the fader that comes in handy for my compilations from live DVD concerts.

It's front panel is well layed out compared to the other 2 CDR's that I used, and no plastic here, this one is aluminum and has that Denon class.

One thing that I noticed right away was the power switch having a "heavy" feel to it.It is not easily pushed in, which is a good thing because during a recording, bumping the power off by accident would not be good.

All of the buttons and knobs have a solid feel. The display is big and bright, and can be seen from a good distance.

I find the remote to be average, no complaints.

Inputs and outputs are plentiful, allowing most any configuration.

I'm using this unit as my only CD player. I have boxed up my 8 year-old Denon CD player, which, BTW, still works and looks brand new...GO DENON!.

My old Denon CD player does not have digital output,and the CDR-W1500 has been a step up in sound quality for me.

I have several HDCD's and now I can take advantage of the higher resolution from these discs...another plus.

Having recently bought a SACD/DVD-A player, I can compare the sound quality of this deck to a truly superior format, and still have respect for the CDR-W1500.

Purchased At:   Domes