Yamaha CDC-765 CD Players

4.6/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $349.00

5 CD changer

Submitted by larry younkin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an update on my previous review. I just got the Yamaha fixed for 20 bucks and it works perfectly. So, ignore the negatives in my previous post.

Submitted by larry younkin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had great pleasure listening to this product. It has brought new life to my old discs. I remember when I first plugged it in and went through all my cds as if I was hearing them for the first time. Now the bad new, the unit it fried. It will not play without making a horrible noise and skipping around. I am not pleased overall due to this problem.

Purchased At:   front row/stereo cen

Submitted by Tony P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Have you ever walked into a HIFI store (and I dont mean a place like Circuit city, they never have anything hooked up right or working) and listened to something they had playing and then wished your setup would sound like it. I used to do that. You read so many things about what will make your system sound better musically. I decided to go ahead and buy a higher end CD player to see how that would go. Well this was the best $200 I have spent in a long time. Music was more spacial, at times it sounded as if it was coming from my center channel as well as the left and right. Tighter bass crisp highs. Midrange stayed the same (excellent).
When you can show your wife and she agrees there is a difference then you know you have something good. Well at least in my case and I bet in most cases the wife could care less....

Current system includes
Yamaha RXV995 AV receiver
Yamaha CDC765 CD player
Zenith (who cares what the model is it was cheap and playback is great
Pioneer CLDM301 laser disc player
Mitsubishi stereo hifi VCR
DSIH 500 satellite
Technics turn table
Polk RT16 towers
Baoston Acustics 404v center channel
BIC America surround speakers
KLH PSW120 subwoofer
Monster cables all around (make a difference? I dont know)

Purchased At:   Tweeter etc

Submitted by billy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
hey Brandon-- this is a great unit! did you buy the cd player for its sound or for its memory capabilities? why don't you sell it and get yourself a JVC mega changer. you'd be happier.

five stars - great unit.

Purchased At:   sound advice

Submitted by Brandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
This player works and sounds great on commercial cd's. However, I find it has problems playing back some kinds of cd-r's... specifically those burned on a Yamaha CD-RW drive! Ironic that Yamaha did not coordinate the tolerances of their cd-players against the recording specs of their burners, maybe the computer division does not talk to the home audio division.

I am also finding the memory limit of 100 discs too confining. If I had things my way you should be able to enter at least a thousand cd's into memory, it's so cheap these days. Because of this factor I am now considering buying a Sony 400 disc mega-changer. It can store programming information for all 400 discs, perhaps because it only stores which songs you don't want to hear. Yamaha decided to store the tracks you want to hear and since most of us fill it with cd's that we like it probably uses more memory than the Sony method.

Purchased At:   Bjorns