Yamaha CDC-505 CD Players

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Entry Level CD Changer

Submitted by staldini a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
This was the first brand new item I bought in my stereo system. I run it with a Pioneer SX-838.

A CD player is largely just that. The key things to look for are the DAC's, frequency response, build quality, and connection options. Yamaha is pretty respectable in their build quality for good reason, they use quality parts, and actually engineer more than just the electronics. This player has given me no problems, was reasonably priced, and has a full list of features.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by nnolan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a respectable cd player. It sounds superb when routed through my philips home theater system. When I put my Travis "The Man Who" cd in I was astounded the warmth of the sound made it like listening to the cd for the first time again.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got mine for pretty cheap on ebay, even though it needed a little bit of cosmetic work, it was still way worth the 65 bucks i spent on it. It sounds great, looks great, and has great features, I especialy like the CD text thing that displays artist, track and such on some cd's, and that the tray comes out all the way so you can change all the cd's at once, unlike my newer technics one, (which is very ugly by the way), I think Yamaha is the only company that still makes good looking stereos.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by James Glenn a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
THE YAMAHA CDC-505 IS AN EXCELLENT UNIT. CHANGER IS MUCH FASTER THAN THE SONY CDP-CE335. THE CASE IS STUDY ENOUGH TO SUPPORT MY YAMAHA RV-1005 RECEIVER. I BELIEVE THE RECEIVER IS CLOSE TO 20lbs. SOUND IS CRIPY AND CLEAR. NO DISTORTIONS. REMOTE IS NOT A PROBLEM BUT I USE THE REMOTE FROM MY YAMAHA RECEIVER AS IT CONTROLS THE PLAYER. ALL IN ALL I HAVE TO SAY I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE YAMAHA CDC-505 AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE WHO WANTS GREAT SOUND AT A REASONABLE PRICE. i PAID $149 BUT WOULD GLADLY HAVE PAID THE $179 MSRP. MUCH BETTER THAN MY SONY UNIT AND IT MATCHES RECEIVER.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent entry level 5 disc changer. It works well, switches discs quickly, and the play exchange system works. The build quality on this machine is better than most entry level players...the box is actually sturdy, and the warraty is two years....most others (e.g., Sony, are one year). SOUND: I have been using the optical out and relying on the DACs in my Denon 3600 receiver, so I can't comment on the quality of the on-board DACs. Used as a transport, I can't complain...the sound is great, and I really enjoy the carousel feature (moving up from a single disc player). The remote is easy to use and well designed. My only quibbles: There is no remote power on/off (this is getting to be a pain as I listen every night). Also, the display on the machine is very small...difficult to read what track you are on from across the room. All in all, a quality product.

Purchased At:   Best Buy