Yamaha CDC-675

Submitted by markwebb1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
The CDC-685 is the Camry of CD players--competent and reliable but unexciting.

I bought it to replace an old, tired Sony CDP-215 in my downstairs system. Since the newer Sonys have recieved poor reviews for reliability and sound quality and I didn't want another Denon--sounds great but unreliable--I relied on the reviews here to point me to Yamaha.

The sound is O.K. but not as good as my Denon DCM-370.

During the past three months I've used it extensively and the only problem has been a CD that skated and got lost in the inner recesses of the unit when I fat fingered the loading of one of the rear disc positions on the tray.

The controls are not ergonomic laid out. Play and eject buttons are small and easily confused with buttons for other functions on the panel. I still need to read the labels to know which one to push. Size or shape or color differences would have helped a lot.

Bottom line: it gets the job done.

PS thanks to all who have added reviews to this site!!!

Purchased At:   hificiti.com

Submitted by David Macks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I owned the 575 for a couple of months and was so impressed I kept an eye out on ebay for a used 675. After a month or two I found one sans remote. For an extra $35 for the remote I had a like new 675 for just over $100 total. This thing sings, it's simple it's sweet, it plays all formats, it smoothes scratches it does everything but make my breakfast. Rock solid, if everything electronic were built to this standard I'd die happy. Optical out, smooth full sound, play exchange, all the bells and whistles. I love this thing. If you can get one used, buy it. You wont be sorry.

Purchased At:   Used on ebay

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the cdc-685 to replace my tired old Yamaha cd-x3...
Granted the cd-x3 is old and quite used, but the cdc-685 simply blew it out of the water....scratched cds I've kept "just in case" are now usable again....Sound quality is excellant, especially love hearing my Ultradiscs through my system.
Used with:
Sony STR-V55 Receiver
Kenwood KX-550 Cassette Deck
Yamaha NS-100M monitors
(stuff is old, but matches better than anything newer I've tried adding in)

Purchased At:   ultimate electronics

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I originally bought the Denon and returned it because I wanted optical out for minidisc recording. Now I use it as a CD player hooked up to seperates with DH Labs cable all around and it sounds great! Very natural, detailed CD player. Very surprised of the sound quality from a 5 disc changer. The remote is ideal for kicking back and listening. All the pertinent controls (play, skip, pause) are within thumbs reach. I love the smaller two-way buttons and they are very easy to push. I have also used the CDC-775, but that played some of my discs a bit strange. I'm assuming it is the pro-bit technology used in that model.

Purchased At:   Audio King

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
this review is for the new 685 model that replaced the 675. i have had this unit for 2 weeks and this one is better than my sony cdp-445 that just died on me recently. the two biggest advantages the yamaha has over my sony was: 1. the abilty to change 5 discs at once with one press of a button. with the sony, you could change only 2 at a time. the yamaha's tray comes out farther to access all 5 discs. with the play/exchange function the yamaha can change 4 at once while 1 is playing. with the sony, only 2 at a time. you got all that? 2. more stable lens tracking than my old sony. i jumped up and down in front of my av rack and no skipping from the yamaha. the sony failed this test in the past. i like the styling of the 685 versus the 675. sleeker looking to me anyways. the main advantage the sony had was it's ability to play shuffle modes from it's faceplate. you have to use the remote on the yamaha. big deal! i am using the optical out to my onkyo receiver, as with my sony, so the sound quality is comparable. i can't comment on the yamaha's internal dac since i'm using the one in the onkyo txds-575 dolby digital receiver. however, with the digital connection the sound is excellent. i think i found a winner!

Purchased At:   tweeter