Wadia Digital 830 CD Players

4.65/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $3250.00

Compact Disc Player

Submitted by James Chang a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2017

Bottom Line:
I used to connecting my WADIA 830 to integrated Amp,and its performance was not better than a USD 800 CD player.
Last year I acquired several power amps and tried directly connect power amp to WADIA 830. Wow, its became a different machine. I found out that it drives Class A power amp so well that my friends were amazed by its clarity and sweetness. Currently I used Luxman M06 paired with Krix Esoterix Loudspeaker and oh my god, its performance is better than another USD 15K assembly. This ultra high value system is almost invincible in Jazz and Chamber music and they cost me less than USD 2500 ( all second hand ).
However, this CD player use Pioneer PEA1343 Laserhead which is not easy to find and very expensive. I spent USD 300 for a spare part. Moreover it is very selective in CD quality. In addition, A clean power is very important to make this CD player works well. I have a TDK noise filter to clean the EMI. An expensive power wire makes no difference, just waste money.

Submitted by lpjohnny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
Battled with going back to solo vinyl, ZOG talked me into upgrading my Sony es9000 SACD to a "real" red book cd player before diving back into the maddness. The Wadia 830 upon hitting the play button for the first time startled my listening ears! No one piece of gear has ever given me such listening pleasure!
The tonal decay and weight of the music were in a realm that all need to experience. Sense of pace was as lifelike as I have heard from digital. I literally did not have the urge to speed through my favorite test songs, but rather listened to them in full. Why? Because I was hearing aspects that I have never before heard!
I encourage anyone to try this moderately priced unit out.
Zog, has the final word. "Johnny your system has arrived!"
P.S. Definately configure preamp to fully utilize the Wadia internal volume control.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by qwz32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I recently (3 hours ago) acquired a used 830 CDP from a local Agoner. I was fortunate enough to purchase this unit as I now realize that it is highly sought after, especially in the european community.

In the past, I have used mostly better DVD players for CD playback (i.e. Denon 3910). I have auditioned an Arcam 82 and a Linn Mimik in the past but I was astonished at the smoothness of this player, soundstage is broader. Separation between vocals and instruments is more defined.

Overall, this is a very neutral player that allows you to listen for hours without fatique. Funny how I did not know about the name Wadia prior to 48 hours. It was through research using sites like Ecoustics.com which linked to audioreview that I became aware and convinced how good this player really is.

I found that this player performs best using XLR connections versus RCA. Next purchase will be a good pair of silver IC with XLR ends.

Purchased At:   Audigon

Submitted by Rickard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
My amplifer was and is Gryphon Century int. so it´s nothing wrong that and we test the player on my brothers Gryphon Antilleon, we get the same results.
You have to agree that the taste is not the same for all, ok.
Have a nice day.
Rickard

Submitted by corvenius a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Being an audiophile for many years I´ve owned a great deal of expensive cd-players. The 830 is no doubt the finest cd-player I´ve ever had. It´s makes you feel, that you´re up front stage - close to the musicians. The music is relaxed, detailed, airy and attacks when it should - the best describtion is, that the 830 playes like an expensive turntable - very analogue - which enables you to listen for hours without fatique. You´ve got plenty of tigth bas, smooth and fast mid and fine sweet treble.
Rickard from my scandinavian brotherland - Sweden - must have had a very bad day, when writing his 830 review, or maybe he just needs a good advice on buying a quality power amp.
I´m playing on on a pair of heavy Threshold mono amp.s with the 830 hooked directly to the amp.s.
My good friend and police colleague - Torben - is playing on Gryphon CD and Gamut amp.s, and we both - honestly - enjoy listening to each others set-up - So Rickard - get rid of that old Technichs stuff and get yourself a serious amp - enabling you to smile again.

Purchased At:   second hand private