Technics SL-PG480A CD Players

single disc cd player

Submitted by Gordyman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought this from Richer Sounds for £99. I bought a Kenwood 3020SE amp and Wharfedale 7.1 speakers. I was almost at the end of my £350 budget so I bought cheaper cable than I wanted. The Technics PLG480A played well for my first CD player and separates Hi-Fi setup. Within the first year (1 week before end of warranty) the laser packed in. I had moved nearly 200 miles earlier in the year, so I went to my nearest Richer Sounds branch and left it with them to fix in store. That same evening my machine wa returned to my front door fixed and ready to run for the next fifteen years without a hitch. Pink Floyd. Steve Hillage, Metallica, 80's pop, trance, chillout, ibizia, folk, homemade recordings and kid's songs sound great through this stalwart of my system. I've lost the remote but it's probably somewhere in the attic. I've changed the cables to a very much better banana plug custom made and the speakers to Mission 700s and the player and amp still rock with all my eclectic tastes of CD, vinyl, or cassette media I throw at it. For my very first CD player purchase I believe I made a very excellent choice and long may she sail!

Submitted by Dodgy Geezer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Have used this for over a year now with a Marantz PM4000 amp and Eltax Symphony 6.2 speakers. It's especially good with House and Dance music with good deep bass and smooth midrange as opposed to the Sony XE330 that had tinny treble and lacked depth. An absolute bargain and highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Who cares? a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Joe Johnson hates it yet has used it for over a year? Cant be that bad now can it?

Submitted by joe johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This machine creates a tight compressed awful sound - not open at all - maybe good for techno that goes boom boom - im sure it can make boom noises very well but really this is a very bad cd player - I bought it to replace my eclipse cd101 cos the technics was reviewed well and had optical output but oh my God there was not a chance in hell I was going to replace my £40 eclipse with this piece of ****.

If you have a chance listen to the Chinese Eclipse CD101, for £40 it will beat a lot of players up to £150 or so. The Eclipse produces a really good open yet detailed sound - the technics produces a closed compressed technical sound - ive got good speakers good cables and a great amp and believe me when I say this is a piece of useless junk.

Im getting a cambridge audio cd with optical output soon - to make the eclipse and the cd101 obsolete - don't even think of wasting good money on tbis - the reviews said the sound might be a 'little' compressed but this is awful awful awful - I did not believe that a cd player could make such a big difference in the way a system sounds - oh my god was I wrong.

The only reason that I can see this CD player being popular is if you use really bad speaker cables that make evertything sound loose and distorted - then MAYBE somehow the technics makes up for this - really I have no clue - but this is the only thing I can think of to account for any good reviews this thing might get here - don't buy it- and if you have I'm sorry.

Submitted by Kevin Read a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a budget player to replace an old Sony model. I auditioned a few but none had the bass weight of the technics. I like it's warm sound and its system friendly nature (it sounds as good through my av amp as it does through my 2 channel one). I can only complain about its casing which does not sit level on the shelf straight out of the box (a surprise). Some isolation cones have sorted that one out. Basically if you want a nice cheap, loud, warm player for rock and pop this is the baby!!

Purchased At:   Richersounds