Technics SL-PD5 CD Players

4.64/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $150.00

cd player

Submitted by Dan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Never skipped once, I use an optical cable to connect it to my Yamaha receiver.

My Yamaha remote only lets me skip tracks, seek, play, pause and stop so if you want to change CD's I have to press the buttons on the unit.

Perfect quality and there is no background noise.

Submitted by JuneHawk Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good sound. I connect it my mono television, cuz' speaker is not delivered yet. The sound is terrific. And 5cd full random play is really better than I expect.

Very noisy while loading discs and while changing track in random play. I'm wondering other product like sony has same noise like that or not. But I tried to understand cuz' it's silence while sequential play.

No remote. but remote is ready.
The design is too big and very small weight. Sony's design is better.

It's cheap, not a great product I think.

Purchased At:   ebay.com (brand new)

Submitted by Kyle M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice CD player if you are or aren't on a budget. Pay no attention to anybody that says the lights are annoying, they're SWWEEETTT!!!
When I got it I thought it might skip BUT I haven't been able to skip it ONE SINGLE Time yet.

Weighs hardly anything but is a very good CD player. (Using analog cable)

I'm using my new TECHNICS Reciever, Costomly made 8 inch speakers, Combined with KLH Surrounds, and a jery rigged subwoofer 12 inch which I am planning to upgrade to a 15 in.

Purchased At:   Bestbuy

Submitted by sidamo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I thought it would never happen to me, but in less than 1 year my HK FL8350 started to skip. I wanted another 5 disc changer that was reliable, but didn't have big bucks to spend. After hearing good things about Technics CD players I bought the SL-PD5. I have not heard the sound of this player thru the analog outputs yet, but so far the player sounds good connected to the optical input of my Denon receiver. Discs that were skipping on the HK play perfectly on the Technics. In this situation the old saying "you get what you pay for" does not hold water. When HK first came out with the FL8350 it was well over $300.00 most places, but is now much cheaper. The Technics can be found for under $100.00 most places. The HK is heavier than the Technics, but this must not mean much either. Heavier components don't always equate to higher quality. The only thing I don't like about the Technics is you have to use the disc skip button to remove the CD, which is a minor inconvience. Overall I give this player a 5 for value and 4 overall.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Wayne Bard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I really like this product and for the price it has great performance. The sound is very smooth and life like. I would recommend that the digital output be used for the best results.

Purchased At:   Cirrcut City