Sony CDPCX455 CD Players

4.5/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

Sony 400 Disc MegaStorage CD Changer - CDPCX455/ MP3 Playback Capability/ CD-R/CD-RW Playback/ Twin Jog Dial For Easy Disc Access/ MegaChanger Control/ Optical Digital Output/ Keyboard Input/ Remote Commander Remote Control/ Free Keyboard With Purchase

Submitted by D Lillis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this 455 changer 3 years ago and I love it !!!
I did my research and wanted decent sound quality more then anything else, some of the other changers got awful reviews regarding sound quality. This machine has some sort of digital filter which smooths and warms the sounds, great reverb and yet sharp. I like it !!.

Now the down side, I don't like any of the file system, but I knew I wouldn't ! I made up an excel sheet of the 350+ disks I have in alphabetical order (by artist) and use that to find what I want, I also copied every disk I had and put CD text on them so the machine can read their titles, no way am I wasting my time editing in album/track titles only for them to vanish, Also a bit of comfort for me as some of the sony changers can scratch your disks, mine hasn't but I do keep it level.

So if you want the best sound quality mega changer that not in the ES price range, then this is the one for you.

Submitted by thaistith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have used this changer for some time now. Selecting a play mode from it's remote is a breeze and quite rewarding. The filing system is wonderful. I have used a mini keyboard to label disc. After a day at work I will sometimes select shuffle mode of play and allow the changer to play for me. I also have 3 programs of play I've made. I built my own rack system because this changer is 21 1/4" d. Sound quality is amazing. 400 disc in such a small space is remarkable!

Submitted by Robs1965 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 400 stack version CDPCX450 in 2003 (I think! - getting old) and in 2006 I purchased the 300 stack version CDPCX455. I then hooked them together so when one finishes a song the other kicks in and vice versa all day long.

I have programed in all the CD titles (easy as with a keybord that just plugs in front). With all my CD cases I have stuck an adhesive dot on the back and written the changer (A or B) and the slot number. This is so when I go hunting by CD cover when friends come around it is not an ordeal to find the CD among the 700 CDs in the two machines.

I work from home and my stereo is on about 10 hrs a day and I have never had a problem or lost my data during a power blackout. I love this thing. I am about to purchase 2 more as my collection has now expanded to the point where they are both almost full.

In terms of sound quality, well I had purchased a 200 stacker from JVC a couple years earlier and it made my ears bleed. In the end I bought a AMC digital to anolog converter which improvered that sucker, but it still mucked up from time to time with CDs jamming during the change process. The JVC now lives in a box in the cupboard.

However, I was expecting the sony to have the same cheap harsh sound as the JVC. So I just hooked up the AMC DA converter when I first purchase the sony. A few months later a decided to muck around one afternoon and test what the Sony sounded like without the AMC DA converter hooked up. Seriously, there was a difference but not that one was better than the other - just different and only barely noticable. I now have Sonys directly connected in a Denon PMA 1500ea amp on Jamo D590 floor speakers with quality cables and it is as sweet as anything I could have hoped for.

Yes, a friend did plug in a $1500 dollar Denon CD player and yes it was better - but not enough to trade off the convenience for the type of listening I do. I would say 80% of my listening is quality comfort sound of music I love soul, rock, pop, clasical, blues, techno, classic 1950s 60s 70s 80s and polka - no only kidding. The other 20% is spent auditioning new and much loved CDs with a glass of red wine. At the end of day I have a system that is warm, rich and is hard to walk past when a great song that is well recorded comes on - my favourate distraction in my working day.

Submitted by Cole Tamminen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
I haunted the web for a good month reading everything I could find about these mega-changers. I found epinions, audioreview, and Amazon to have the most useful reviews. I have a couple friends who have Sony mega-changers, but they do not live nearby so I couldn't test their machines. I did trade a lot of e-mail and have a couple phone calls, though. It was interesting and re-assuring to learn that neither of them has had trouble with their Sonys, and both have had them for over 3 years.

I could not find much information about any of the changers Other than the Sony models, and few opportunities to buy them, so: I headed for Sony. Based on price, I ordered my factory-fresh CX455 from Amazon. My experience with Amazon -- thus far limited just to taking my order and shipping it -- has been perfect. I highly recommend Amazon. Completely hassle- and error-free.

I've had my CX455 for about a month. It worked perfectly right out of the box, and it's still working. I say it that way because it's readily apparent to anyone who can read that a fair number of folks have had issues with their Changers, some of them right out of the box. I've had no issues so far.

I think THIS is important:
I have developed a suspicion, more deeply held now that I've watched this thing work, that these changers require a level shelf. The manual clearly states not to tilt or prop this unit up, but I think 'not propping it' is insufficient. Give it a Perfectly level shelf to work on.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by lincolnman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent product overall. Not a worldbeater, but definately a very good choice. I did not need the 400 disc capability, but it is nice to know that I have it. It seems like a bit of overkill that one can daisy-chain two for mega-control and hold 800 discs, but then again, some people may have that much music. I just do not.
All of the features are very nice indeed. I have not used most of them, but am slowly becoming accustomed to all of the unit's capabilities. The jog dials are not only nice but a necessity with as many discs as fit in the player. Being able to manually enter the disc's name with a PS/2 Keyboard is especially nice, being as I had several MP3 discs without any 'cdtext' on them.
I do not care for the blue lighting on the front, it makes my Kenwood KR-9600 face look greenish by comparison, and it is much too bright. It would be different if the changer was full, since it would show through the discs, but I only have about 50 or so in mine.
I will admit that the remote, while amazingly capable, is a little bit cluttered. I could use one that was simpler and more options actually on the unit.
I listen to it through a Kenwood KR-9600 reciever and KL-999Z speakers, and the sound quality has been more than appreciable.
I agree that a song delete option would be a plus.
Do not move the unit loaded with discs, I had to take mine apart to get a loose disc from the inside after moving it.
Browsing through MP3 discs can be a bit of a hassle, even when all the songs are organized, like in my case.
I have an issue in that one of my displays shuts off after running for a while. It seems that there is a thermal protection in the unit that shuts off the display before damage occurs. If I shut the unit off and turn it back on it is fine.
The random setting seems to develop a memory for songs you have skipped past, they come up more frequently in subsequent playings if the unit is not shut off in between.
It seems that it is unable to read a lot of my ID3 tagged MP3s. They will not display the tag information correctly.
In MP3 mode, the fast-forward is delayed quite a lot.
I would suggest this unit for anyone who likes all of the music they own, otherwise they will be annoyed at how often a song they dislike comes up when on random.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Sony CDPM-555ES vs CDPCX455

Hi All, Is there much difference in sound quality between these two players? I'm assuming the ES has better sound? I was thinking of buying a used 555ES but the CX 455 can be bought new for less than a used 555ES! Is there that big a difference between the two? thanks.Read More »

TARA LABS: