Sony CDPCX355 CD Players

4.17/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $199.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Sony 300 Disc CD Changer - CDPCX355/ MegaStorage Control/ CD-R/CD-RW Playback/ 32 Step Program Play/ Control A1 II/ Custom File Memo/ CD Text/ Keyboard Input/ 2 Jog Dials/ Remote Control/ Black Finish

Submitted by nyrobbie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've read nearly every review I could find regarding this unit and though many were 5 stars, others were only 1 star. After compiling the results on the negative side, I found that many, if not all of the problems can be solved very easily.
First -- keep the unit level (as it says in the manual). This will allow the unit to change CD's without causing any damage to them.
Second - Keep CD's balanced inside the changer which will also avoid injuring the CD's and allow the unit to perform flawless.
Third--If the unit is skipping, either insulate the unit from the shelf with foam or similar material feet or place some other component on top of the unit. Since the unit is lightweight (and should be to hold 300 CD's), and because CD's spin so rapidly, the unit could vibrate enough to cause skipping.
I personally love this unit and have had no problems whatsoever with it. Not only is it more convenient to have most of my CD's in one place. I have eliminated the need for a CD rack and the hassle of opening and closing CD cases.
I have a physical list of all the CD's in the unit by slot number. You can program the name of the disc you want. I did not do this but for those who say that they lose their input when they have a power loss, I suggest that they have a UPS to back up their power.
Highly recommend this unit. You will enjoy it !!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by westcott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
This device is all about convenience. It is nice to listen to any CD in my entire collection with a touch of a few buttons. With a digital output to the AV receiver, you get a perfectly accurate feed. It also has a lot of great features that take random play and song organization to the next level. It does have some short comings but most can be overcome. It provides for keyboard entry of CD text and will automatically read Sony CD's. You can also hook up two or more of these players and control them from one remote with one caveat (read below). The text display is very easy to read and logically layed out. It is nice to see the song titles scroll by once data is entered or the disc info is recognized. Too bad there is no ethernet connection. It would be nice to download the CD text data from the internet instead of using a keyboard or reburning your CD's. They make a 400 disc unit but its dimensions made it too dificult to incorporate into my current rack so keep this in mind should you decide to get a unit like this.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by westcott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have to say that I have never been a fan of many Sony products but the low cost and the shear convenience of a 300 disc CD Player made it hard not to give it a try.
The price reflects the extended 4 year warranty I bought, just in case it starts having feed problems later down the road.

I have not entered much data because I have not hooked up a battery back up system yet, but once in place, I will complete the data entry.

It really works well and with optical digital output to my receiver, it sounds great. Do not use analog any more so I have no concern for the DAC's in the unit. I just want it to work reliably.

I also like the idea of daisy chaining multiple units together. For US$200, what else could you ask for. Just set to random play and listen to songs you forgot you had.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Van Canucklhead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this model just a few days ago, but feel I have enough info to write a short review.

My Yamaha CDC-685 (5 disc changer) had been in the shop for 4 months - the terms of the warranty forced the underwriter to replace my unit with a new one. I decided to upgrade to a 300 disc changer, in order that I could listen to the cds in my collection that get very little play.

This unit was fairly straight forward to load-up, but did need some prep. I decided to alphabetize my discs before inserting. I soon realized the dilema of what would one do upon the purchace of another disc? So I left spaces between letters and where I felt I might add to my collection.

The album title procedure was not too much of a bother with a keyboard (I did not have the problem others have had - shift resetting...), except that the player can only record up to 13 characters. This made the project kind of fun, since every title was a lttle game - having to figure out how to abbreviate each one. The main problem I had with the titles is that I cannot scan through disc titles with the remote like I can with the jog dial. For example, I can turn the knob and find another disc I would like to listen to very easily, but while sitting down away from the player, the remote 'disc skip' buttons will not display the disc name on the screen before it loads it up and scans the slot. This is very frustrating since I am forced to (!) get up off the couch to find a certain disc. This to me seems like a simple feature Sony should incorporate, if I can scan titles with the Jog dial, why not the remote?

That is my main problem. Apart from that, I have some other small issues:
1. Will not diplay time remaining.
2. A little slow, but hey, what do I expext?
3. Only 13 characters. When it detects a "CD TEXT" disc, it scrolls the info across the screen, so it clearly perform that function. Sony should make the memory larger, doesn't 1 character = 1 bit? The total memory must therefore be around 5kb.
4. The prospect of losing the info I inputted scares me... (I wish it had a memory backup to memory stick or something like that)

But.. it does plays very nicely with my Yamaha RXV-800 and Mission M7s with an Energy S10.2 - I run it out optically (have not compared with the RCA cables).

I would reccomend this product to someone who is looking for a way to play all (or many) of the discs in their collection, but remember this player is good value, falls short on some convenience features.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great product, not a lot of characters to enter titles so you do have to get creative sometimes but that was really no big deal, my only complaint is entering the letteres with a keyboard took forever because it's not a good prossesor it would give the wrong letter or reverse the shift so you are constantle unpluging the keyboard to reset it. This was really annoying and took quite some time but you only have to deal with this when transfuring your collection then it's done. It only counts time up for each trak . It doesn't count(time remaining) down at all or add disc times or track times wich can be important especally for people who will use it to record from.

Purchased At:   e-tronics