Sony CDP-XE500 CD Players

4.29/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

Submitted by timrhube a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've owned this player for a few years now and decided to put my two cents in. It performs flawlessly with a quick and quiet transport, easy to use controls -- jog control is great -- and a nice remote with volume control. The sound is just fine for a budget player that will probably outlast the CD medium. What do you expect at this price point. One of these days I'm going to break down and get an outboard DAC to see if it improves things.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Beejan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this because my previous CD player which was a fairly inexpensive Pioneer was damaged during a cross country move. I wanted a signle CD player (size considerations) with a headphone jack and got this one. I have no scientific data to back my claim but the first thing I noticed was that its sound quality was inferior to what I used to get from the previous CD player. Its sound quality is "lifeless." I probably have not noticed this if this where my first CD player. My judgement is only comparative and based on what I can hear through my fairly high quality Denon AH-D750 headphone set.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Glenn Bennett a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
My Yamaha was over three years old and I wanted to try this single CD player thinking it might be surprisingly good for the money. Not. The sound is very thin with little life to the music and the soundstage was poor. Hooked up to a small or modest system it might sound okay. Went back to my Yamaha and returned the Sony for a refund.

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I can't add much to what has already been said about sound quality. I bought this unit in late 1997 primarily to connect to my new Minidisc unit because my other CD player at the time did not have a digital out. Much to my dismay, I found that making compilation MDs was impossible with the digital pathway because you couldn't change recording levels! I think this has changed now, but the cool thing I discovered was that this player has a peak search function, which automatically scans through a track to find the loudest bit, then plays it over and over again so you can set the proper record level. This has saved me so much time that I actually enjoy sitting on the floor and making compilations again (1st time since I was 18, I think).

This unit also is much more immune to CD scratches than any other unti I have owned, including my CA7ES 5-disc changer I use for my primary CD player now. I have several disks that skip on that unit, but read perfectly on the 500.

All that being said, I still don't use it as my primary CD player, probably because I prefer a changer. And if I did, I would definitely route it through my Receiver to utilize it's superior DACs. But for the price, I agree that this unit is a tremendous value and one piece of equipment that I will not part with. In fact, I did part with it for about a year, but then I bought it back from the guy I sold it to because making compilation MDs was such a pain with my other equipment.

Submitted by Kevin Nicoll a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
When my Marantz cd63 player bit the dust after 6 years of heavy use, I hit the AudioReview site to find the best bang for the buck. After considering the Sony and JVC XL-Z232BK, I decided that the XE-500 was a better risk. Since it was also touted as an excellent transport, I figured that if I didn't like the internal DACs, I could use my Denon's DACs. I was very happy with it right out of the box. I listen to a lot of classical music, and the Sony gets the string tone and piano just right. The midrange on this player is smooth sounding. Soundstage could be a tad wider and deeper, but at this price the Sony is a real bargain. Purchased through HiFi.com Equipment used is a Denon AVR3300, Vandersteen 2ce speakers, and Transparent Sonata interconnects.

PANAMAX: