Sony CDP-XE400 CD Players

CD Player

Submitted by Chris Atkinson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have used this unit for over 3 years now and it is still performing like new. Absolutely NO problems whatsoever. My only quip is that it should have an optical out and remote, but seeing as my current reciever doesn't even have optical inputs, it's no problem. Sound is terrific, and you can't beat the price (should be found new for under $100 now). Bar none. Recommended!

-Chris

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Joe Kernell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've owned this player for a year. The upside:Tremendous build quality for the money.The single unit drawer design is rock solid. Anybody that wants to buy a carousel should reconsider. They are made of cheap plastic and generally the first thing to break in what would otherwise be a dependable player.The xe-400 has a jog dial for selecting tracks which is easier and smoother than the usual sticky small button. And it has a peak search for pre determining recording levels which can be a hard to find feature. The player also has an uncanny ability to handle any type of CD. I have never had a disc skip or be misread. This fact would not be remarkable if I exclusively used new disc but half of my recording and listening pleasure is derived from scarred and scratchy CDs from the New York Public Library. The downside:This is an entry level CD player. On it's own with entry level power supply[high T.H.D. receivers or amps it will exhibit harsh treble and grainy mid-range. There is a long burn in time . In my case about 50 hours. With the connects that Sony supplies the machine with the exception of the very best recordings will sound harsh. As you well guessed when I took this thing home I was dissappointed. I wanted to keep it instead of returning it as the build quality was superior to the competition at or above it's price level. So I eventually decided to buy solid silver interconnects which improved things enormously.On the best recordings the sound is warmer. Bass is tight. Mid-range is good. This unit should ideally be used with high quality interconnects [monster and it's ilk will not do]. Do not pair this up with bright receivers. In closing for the money I can't complain. The build quality is so superior to it's competition in it's price range and above. The downfall is it's average converter.

Submitted by obbop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a single CD player. Nuthin' fancy, just a basic apparently well-built unit. Does skip if jostled but, in normal use, no problems.

The drawer slides smoothly and locks into place firmly.

The track selector is a handy rotary dial... easy to use and beats pushing buttons!!!

The flat black finish matches my Sony TC-RX606ES cassette unit... the pair are an attractive addition to my quadraphonic set up.

I went with the single player unit due to the inherent simplicity of the design. I wanted sumpthin' that would last. So far, all the controls, the drawer, lights, etc. are going strong. Prices have dropped for this unit. Even though newer units may have a new model number... by all appearances, the unit is exactly the same between older and new models.

For the price... less than $100 new on sale, this unit is hard to beat.

PANAMAX: