Sony CDP-XA50ES CD Players

4.38/5 (29 Reviews)

Submitted by Charlie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I used this SONY XA50ES (with standard filter) to directly drive Adcom 5800 power amplifer (250 Watts RMS, 10-20 Watts in A class). The speakers are Yamaha NS355 (Monitor - sound very similar to NS10M with 10" woofer), Celestion SL600, Rogers LS 3/5A+AB1, ... bi-wired drive main speaker with modified Cerwin SW-12 sub x 2

At first turned on the system it sounds average. I have to play the system more than 1 hour then the sound is keeping better and better from top to bottom. Excellent image, size, depth, body, airy, dynamic, fast, clear, lolid bass, clear voice, sweet, precise,..., high is clear and extend,... bass is fast, lolid, hard,...
(tested by listen same track at 5 minutes and at 90 minutes)

I did compare the unit with Meridian 588 CD Player. XA50ES with 2 hours warm up. XA50ES sound very similar to Meridian 588 CD Player with a lot more quality bass and more listenable high (more realistic than synthetic).

I also has DAC CAL Alpha 96/24. CAL sound more realistic than both XA50ES and 588. CAL sounds more like real live concert in front of me. XA50ES and 588 produced high-end hi-fi style sound... may be more than realistic sound...
We can say that XA50ES and 588 sound is not real. The sound came from very good hi-fi equipment. But sound of CAL Alpha 96/24 is like the band is singging-playing infront of you.

Purchased At:   Emporium Bangkok Tha

Submitted by rangoo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought this player who bought Accuphasefor 500 usd.First impression is that is built like a tank. Fantastic sony's fixed-up mechanism with clamp.inside 2 burr browns and 2 analog device chips.2 sonys ring transformers of high quality.Power cord of ultra low quality- upgraded to IEC socket .15 kgs weight. Plastic operation buttons. Audio filter with different modes included for audiophiles cause they are like a kids- always wants to play with a new toys.Sound big and bold,muscular to max but with a lot of transparency ,musicality and not to the feint hearted.
In direct comparission with Marantz cd17mkII and Piuoneer pd-75 : win over marantz due transport and loose vs Pioneer due slightly overal better quality of later.(actually Pioneer have no weak spot).

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by Skrebok a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Built for the eternity maybe best describes the feeling you get when first taking the player out of its box. When connected to the equipment the first acton before even switching it on was to connect a 75ohm resistor to the digital output. Then the floor was prepared and the result is just amazing. I had the CDP-XA5ES before and was already happy, but the XA50 is a step change. Music I knew for years was presented even more transparent, clearer. It was and still is breathtaking. I heard nothing better for this money. The next step is a Swoboda modification.

Submitted by GODMW a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This was the 1st close-to-hiend CDP I bought by then. I still think it has very solid quality, both in build and sound. Thru these years I played, I found the digital filter is quite useful to compensate different music taste as well as listening environment. I recommend to use STD for analytical listener, and 3C for cosy, warmer listener, you definitely tell the difference when playing "prownshop jazz" by PROPHONE.

Purchased At:   1998

Submitted by Yuh-Herng Chen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got a respond from "axel@hamilton.lv" but I could not reply to him directly. It seems that "axel" has a X5000 Cd player and got similar experience of mine. axel also mentioned that his old Philips are using SONY chips but sounds better than SONY's own product.

I believe there are a few possibilities:

1) Japanese people have different taste in sound (and I think the building materials have impact on tuning).
2) Cost down at chips/parts suppliers (I am working in one of them).
3) mentioned by axel in mail, better linearity, but smeared other factors that take live of music away.
4) Good parts do not guarantee good sound. SONY have very excellent engineers, but they are not necessary good in tuning the sound.

By the way, I think the "digital filter" is not practical. The change is so minor that replace a cable reflects mmmmmmuch stronger than change filter mode. The only thing I can say is this CD player has too much SONY characteristics. On the other hand, I connect it to my integrated valve amp and B&W N805 and I found the sound acceptable (still not a Philips 850's competitor). Maybe people use old Tannoy or Spendor speakers will love it?

Atlantic Technology :