Sony CDP-CX90ES CD Players

4.81/5 (27 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Submitted by terryme1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Sony CPD-CX90ES ($1100) and CPD-CX70ES ($750) new back in about 1999. These units still play great music and have handled the CDs with very few problems all these years. I do have two issues with these units. One RCA output went out on one of the units. This led me to switch from analog out to digital out and use the DAC in my Receiver (Denon AVR5800). It turns out the DAC in the Receiver greatly improved the music quality. I must now switch Receiver inputs depending on which CD Jukebox is playing. There is a problem with the video display output of the CX90ES. The back ground now strobes many colors and sometimes is monochromatic. This is annoying but not too bad. I also have a Sony DVP-CX850D 200 disc DVD player. I only use it as a single DVD player. It often mishandled the DVDs and would rub one against all the others. This ruined several DVDs. My point is the Sony CD ES units work as Jukeboxes better than Sony's DVD units. I love the sound from these units and will keep them as long as they still work. I do want to create a computer system with large hard drives in order to have easy access to my large collection of CDs (>>1000). They have been stored in the garage for too long. I am curious how this Computer System will compare to these Units as a Music source. I will keep you posted.

Submitted by safeharbor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
After owning a Sony CDP-CX205 for many years, I decided to purchase this ES model when I saw it at Goodwill for a decent price. I have been reasonably satisfied with the CDP-CX205 over the years (bought it brand new years and years ago...), but always wondered if the ES series of components manufactured by Sony really lived up to the hype and higher cost. The CDP-CX205 has been a reliable unit, producing above average sound from an extremely convenient jukebox machine. I was hoping that the CDP-CX90ES would not only offer the reliability, but also better sound. Guess what?!! It REALLY does. I have BOTH players hooked up to my Nakamichi PA-7 Stasis Power Amp, Rotel Preamp, and Canton speakers. Last night, I put on some reference material and played songs on the 205, then on the 90ES. Each and every time, the 90ES simply blew away the 205! The sound was much smoother, and sounded more like a good analog setup. Not surprising you say? Let me remind you, that the 205 actually sounded quite good with most CDs in my eclectic collection. There is a very noticeable difference in sound quality between these two units, and I will be transferring most of my highest quality material over to the ES. If you are looking for a better multi-disc jukebox changer, check out the 90Es from Sony.

Purchased At:   Goodwill

Submitted by threetriodes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
A few months ago, I would have never considered a changer. With audio products running from "consumer" to "high-end", changers tend to be solidly on the "consumer" end of the scale.

My main CD player is a Sony CDP-XA7ES. This is the best redbook player Sony ever built. It sold for $3,000 new, so if I sound a bit jaded, this is what I'm used to.

After buying an iPod (something to listen to at work), I started thinking about a changer. It's kind of nice to be able to choose from a variety of music by just pushing a few buttons. I was putting together a system for my bedroom, and thought it might be nice to be able to listen to music all night long as well. A changer started sounding better all the time.

After some research, it seemed like the CDP-CX90ES was a pretty nice unit. I saw several references to this being Sony's best changer, so I thought I'd give one a try.

A little surfing on eBay turned up a unit being advertised as "mint-less than 50 hours". Apparently lacking a digital camera, the seller had only a small stock photo - a costly mistake on his part. I was the only bidder, and picked it up for $200.

Upon removing it from the box, I was amazed at just how deep this unit is. Keep this in mind, as chances are good that it won't fit in many racks due to it's depth. At least not without a large degree of "hangover".

The chassis is not quite as sturdy as I'd expect for a unit that retailed for $1100. Pick one of these up blindfolded, and you could easily mistake it for a cheap microwave oven. You could stand on the XA7ES.

So off to my trusty Macintosh (computer) to burn some CDs. One of the best features about this unit is "CD Text". None of the commercial CDs I own have this encoding on them - BUT - Adaptec Toast (my CD burning software) supports it. Just click the little "Enable CD Text" button, and your copies get title and track information automatically added to them. The CX90ES has a PS/2 keyboard port, which allows you to manually enter this information, but letting the machine read it right off your discs is a lot easier. This information scrolls across the display, which I can easily read from across the room (with my glasses on). I have not tried it, but the CX90ES also has a composite video output, so you can display this information on your television. Don't have a television with a composite video input? Just swipe the little modulator box off your kid's Nintendo, and you'll be in business.

Now for the important part - the sound. IMHO, the built-in 20-bit DAC sounds HORRIBLE. I'm no golden-ear audiophile. I can't "hear" power cords, or the difference between a CD and a CD-R. But I do know what a cheap CD player sounds like, and in it's stock form, the CX90ES has this sound in spades. Overly bright, and as dry as the Mojave desert. Loaded with .AIFF (native CD audio format) files, my iPod is a better sounding source than this changer!

Thankfully, Sony included a fiber optic digital output in the form of a Toslink connector (sorry, no coaxial digital).

I picked up an Audio Alchemy "Ultra DAC" on Audiogon for $250. This is an older 18-bit DAC, but it makes music in a big way. Actually, it's 2 units - the first unit reduces jitter by reclocking the digital signal (like most good DACs now do) with the second unit being the DAC itself. In todays world, this is far from state-of-the-art, but the sonic improvement is just amazing. Smooth. Make that SMOOTH. This eliminated the harsh, dry sound, and it's almost as good as the factory DAC in my XA7ES (a bit rolled-off on the highs, and a little less detail, but still quite beautiful to listen to).

If you honestly think this is a good sounding unit with the built-in DAC, you really should consider a cheap experiment. Go get a copy of "Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits". Janis has a voice which really brings out the shortcomings of digital. Now go beg, borrow, or steal a decent external DAC. You really won't believe the difference.

So for $450 total (counting the DAC) I'm very pleased with both the convenience and the sound.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Chapel54 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Beats the heck out of all the other CD players I've had. Found it at a garage sale priced at $100, offered $75. Came with remote and owners manual. I really wasn't sure what I was getting til I came home and hooked it up to my Sony STR-D515 just to try it. Wow! Worked perfectly form the getgo. Still has old owners programming. Can't wait to hook it up to my MAC MA6100. Sounds crisper than my Rotel, light years better than the Aiwa. Nice bass, clear highs. Wife hasn't seen me this excited about a new toy before.

Purchased At:   garage sale!

Submitted by Tom H a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this jukebox after reading the reviews here. I'm here to say they were right on.
Forget the aluminum face plate (though it's nice), forget the TV on-screen programming (though it's unbelievably convenient and intuative)- it's all about the SOUND stupid!!
This jukebox has revitalized my CD collection. I'm hearing things in virtually every Disc I never heard before.
There is a fideltiy and resolution to the music that I never heard in my 10 year old Denon (NO KIDDING).
It's A clean and "open" in sound.
I have a STRDB-840 (with Polk speakers)and only listen in "analog by-pass" mode, for the cleanest, purest sound.
This unit gets a lot of hype every time it comes up on e-Bay, many say it's the only jukebox worth considering if you are an "audiophile".
I'm no expert, but this thing sounds AMAZING!

Purchased At:   half.com