Sony CDP-CX88ES CD Players

200CD ES Jukebox

Submitted by Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I jumped on this deal when I saw it at a local Vanns for $275 (they have a few down to $225 now!). It's the best sounding megachanger I've heard. I should also mention that I upgraded to a Sony STR-DB830 when I bought this, so it's hard to say how much of the improved sound is from the DB830 and how much is from the changer.

Like all changers, this is a huge piece of hardware, and the motor's a bit too noisy when it's spinning - but I can live with it since I have the changer isolated in its own cabinet to eliminate the noise.

Purchased At:   Vanns

Submitted by Mike the Snake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this machine for $299.99 from www.vanns.com. It's a nice item, however, it is noisier than the cheaper, non-ES CDP-CX300. By noisier, I mean when it's moving the CDs around. It gets louder the faster it turns, while the CX300 stays quiet as it accelerates. They each turn about the same speed. I thought it was possible to name each individual track with this player, but I was wrong. No keyboard input doesn't matter that much to me, but it would be nice. Supposedly this cd changer sounds better than the new non-ES sony's, but I bet I couldn't tell the difference. The newer CX335 has a signal to noise ratio almost as good as this one, and the 335 is cheaper. I'm considering taking this one back because it's too loud when changing discs. No keyboard input kinda sucks too. I might get the new CX400 when it comes out next month. Signal-to-noise ratio on the CX400 is 108dB and the CX88ES is 110dB. Not much difference there. They should tell you that the CX88ES makes 40dB of noise changing discs while the CX300, CX335, CX400, etc. make less than 20dB of noise changing discs. It just annoys me when i'm going to sleep listening to music only to get rudely awakened by the loud brrrrrrrrr of the cd changer changing discs.

Submitted by Charles Tweedy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very nice product. I payed $350 from 1-800-One-Kall. If you never dealed with these folks you are loosing out and thinning your wallet to much. They saved me tons of bucks on this overhaul I just did. Buy this sucker now while its on its way out of the model year. Recommended. FYI the retail price is $800.

Submitted by steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
The unit's ease of use, the fact that it talks to my other sony componants and the turbo cool remote made this unit hard to pass up. Sound quality brings new life to a lot of the old discs in the collection and one of my favorite old albums, Jackson Brownes Pretender actually contains music that I have never heard before. I have heard some criticisms of the mechanics of large changers but I have had no probs(it's only been a month though). I hooked mine up using the optical cable and it sounds great. My wife, by no means a hi fi freak, actually teared up listening to one of her faves. That sure helped me stay out of the dog house for another purchase. I am proud to tell you that I only paid 299 for the thing at a VIP sale in the local hi end shop. I am not too crazy about the fact that there is a seperate little reciever for the remote, but it is not that big of a deal. Overall quite happy with it.

Submitted by Chris Vespermann a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
The build quality is first rate and the sound is much cleaner than my single Denon CD it replaced. The program and remote control features are great. I bought on a recommendation and I'm completely satisfied with one little surprise. The raves that Consumer's Digest gave this player also said it had a keyboard entry capability.

I purchased it from Rich @ ext. 714, SoundCity for 489.00+SH.
I would (will) buy this again when 200 discs are not enough.

FGH 26: