Sony CDP-CX53 CD Players

4.11/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $220.00

50+1 with remote

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
You know, while I'm at it, I have to hand it to my Pioneer for lasting 15 years... in fact it still works but the magazine design sucks really.

I can't see why people are bashing on this Sony player - it is excellent for my needs and I found an open box for $109.

How much can you cry about something that costs a hundred bucks?

Very convenient and all my family loves it. I had the magazine style changer for a long time, which made for lost CDs and a pain in the a** to play a single disc when you want to. With this thing - just consult the booklet and pick your disc(s).

Sounds fine - I play it with my receiver's DAC through the optical out. I like that a lot. I am not a believer that one CD player will sound appreciably better than another. I just can't believe decoding those ones and zeros is that complicated a deal.

Just make sure you know the features before you buy - then you won't be crying about no text feature afterwards (I don't understand that complaint at all.. it doesn't SAY it has text...)

I think it looks cool too - the way those lights inside look when you spin to a new CD.

I recommend it if you can find it open box for around $100 - how can you possibly go wrong spending only that much money?

Rating based on all this convenience for only $109. I would have liked the 200 disc changer - but what the hell cabinet will that monster fit in??

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by JOEY Lancaster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Over all this unit is not a bad CD player. It makes for a horrible juke box, so to speak. The main attraction of keeping it is that 50+ of my CDs won't be scratched from taking them in and out. However, I have been enraged from the aforementioned misleading unit so far as to throw a CD or two as far as I can... in shuffled direction, of course.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Good changer, dunno what I can say, hard to really hype a CD player too much.. I like the fact that it can hold a ton of CDs, and has an optical output, though. As for skippage, I've managed to make it, but it's hard doing it. I was using a 12" sub on the floor, and copious volumes, but it was STILL hard to make it geek out, so it seems to be tough. Gets my vote!

Submitted by Johan S Buisman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
This cd player is great for playing background music, I Like to chat with people on my room for long time's Wel over 10 hours at one session.

This player gives me the opp to play music without having to change discs every 60 minutes.

The real disadvantage however is it's shuffle play, It seems like some cd's are played more often than others, It seems to selcet randonm from 5 or six cd's , On Block play, where it randomly plays a cd track out of a choice of ten cd's it works great.

The digital out is extremly important to connect to my sony mzr37 minidisc recorder.

Submitted by Kirl a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Look, I really really like this CD changer. But can someone tell me why, when I have it on shuffle, that I hear from pretty much the same 5 or 10 CD and *WHY* it will sometimes play the same song twice. You would be correct in saying...well, if you didn't expect it, it'spretty random, huh? But..umm..I don't really want it to repeat until it's played maybe another hundred songs from the possible 500 stored inside. But maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The price was right.