Sony CDP-CX220 CD Players

2.71/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $360.00

200 disc changer

Submitted by edbo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit in 1998 when I was still rather big on Sony products and because the JVC unit was sold out at the time. I'm not big on Sony anymore as their quality has been nothing but crap since they built a big reputation in the 80's on their TV sets. So far I have been lucky in this purchase and have not had any of the problems listed below on my unit and it still plays as good as the day I bought it over 3 years ago. That still doesn't make my review of this top notch as my encounters with Sony's products and costly repairs (even while still under parts warranty) on some of their equipment I acquired since this purchase will effect my decision of purchasing (and recommending) Sony equipment in the future. I do NOT recommend Sony equipment to anyone!

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Worked great at first. Sound was fine for everyday listening. I don't think I could ever go back to swapping CDs. However, after about 6 months, it started making a high-pitched warbling/whistling sound, which is very annoying at low volumes. I took it apart and saw that the CD spindle is off balance, so the CD wabbles like a loose wheel. It's not surprising since the spindle is mounted on a very long, very thin shaft with nothing to support it. Any shock while it is spinning a disc is going to knock it out of balance. The poor little focus lense works overtime trying to compensate. Now it skips and errors easily, and I can only play it at high volumes to overcome the whistling sound.

If you want a budget 200 disc CD player, it's fine. Just be very careful. Not recommended in earthquake zones.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall I have been quite pleased with my purchase of this CD Player. I payed $250 at CC and pleasantly surprised with some of the features. First, the groupings of titles allows you to categorize your music and separate Jazz from Gospell to Rap. In addition to separation by category, it allows one to shuffle or random play within that grouping which great depending on your mood. However, depending on the spacing between CD's there can be a short but noticable as well a noisy delay. The sound quality is definetly better than the first generation player I purchased 10 years ago. The CD text feature is great but plan on a few weeks to program since this model does not include a keyboard. So far, only Sony Music CD's come with the encoded CD Text. For those that go from car to home audio I would not make this your primary CD player. It can be kinda troublsome retrieving CD's from this machine. I would recommend using a secondary source for playing CD's at home such as your DVD player. I'm more of a home theater person so these small issues are not that big of a deal. I have a place to store my CD's and good sound as well. I would recomend this player. I've had no problems with jamming or not being able to find discs. I only wish I had waited for the 300 disc DVD/CD players.

Submitted by I.M.S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have several Sony components which work well, but both the CX-220 and my 5 disk carousel do not work properly. (My problems with the carousel are even worse, but I did get 5 good years before it started failing.)

Submitted by B. W. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have used this player for a month and have had no problems yet. It sounds very good, 105 s/n ratio. I got it for $169 as a scracth and dent promo from Crutchfield. I am very happy with it so far.

TARA LABS: